Augmented Reality Glasses to the Rescue

DooKey

[H]F Junkie
Osterhaut Design Group has come up with a unique way to help pilots see their instruments in the event the cockpit becomes filled with smoke. Current procedure calls for the pilots to put on oxygen masks so they can breath and then they try to keep flying. Of course the smoke might make it hard to see the instruments and this is where the ODG glasses come into play. These glasses are integrated with the oxygen mask and use augmented reality to display information from the instruments and external cameras. This sounds like an excellent idea and shows VR/AR glasses aren't just for gaming.

ODG developed Saved in partnership with FedEx Express, and the San Francisco company is hoping to sell the special masks to civil and commercial airplane makers, as well as militaries around the world. The theory is that because smoke and fumes are the most common reason for emergency landings, the potential market for Saved is vast–as many as 39,000 potential planes

Saw a few months ago they integrated a mask with the systems on the F-35 to be able to "see through" the cockpit and the structure of the plane so they can track the enemy without having the plane obscure their vision. It was quite interesting idea and makes fighter pilots more effecting at maneuvering during a fight.

Saw a few months ago they integrated a mask with the systems on the F-35 to be able to "see through" the cockpit and the structure of the plane so they can track the enemy without having the plane obscure their vision. It was quite interesting idea and makes fighter pilots more effecting at maneuvering during a fight.

Is International plane dog-fighting still a thing? I can't imagine a scenario where countries are throwing billion dollar aircraft into a shitstorm when they could just kill thousands of cheap ass soldiers for the same price. This is illogical.

Is International plane dog-fighting still a thing? I can't imagine a scenario where countries are throwing billion dollar aircraft into a shitstorm when they could just kill thousands of cheap ass soldiers for the same price. This is illogical.
May not necessarily be a dog fight but they will be able to see a SAM or something chasing them down so to speak. More or less being able to spot a threat "through the floor" of the cockpit is my best guess.

Hmm.. and here I am drunkenly making fleabay bids on used Hololens.

Now here's a solution to those overly bright headlights. Make every driver wear an AR device coupled with a LIDAR so the need for headlights is eliminated (just marker lights so pedestrians, who aren't themselves equipped with AR, can see the car coming). While the preceding is partly in gest (for now) it may become an AR world. Heck who needs clothing in summer: if everybody is equipped with AR, your device just notifies all nearby AR units what clothes you want others to see you in...the possibilities are endless.

May not necessarily be a dog fight but they will be able to see a SAM or something chasing them down so to speak. More or less being able to spot a threat "through the floor" of the cockpit is my best guess.

I do like the idea, and could see the government funding it along with other trivial military tech, regardless of actual application.

Back