• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Audioengine, Expanding to 5.1

Deeky

Gawd
Joined
Feb 7, 2008
Messages
982
Hello [H]. I currently enjoy a pair of Audioengine A5s and a 12" Velodyne sub with a Auzentech HTHD source for gaming, movies and general rocking out. I want to expand to 5.1 surround, which has always been the intention.

I've been told that the Audioengine A2s do a fine job as rear channel paired with the A5s, which is fine. I can even add the wireless W1 adapter to cut down on wire clutter at some point in the future when I have $150 burning a hole in my pocket (never) ... but my concern is the center channel. Since the A5s and A2s come in pairs, what should I use for a center channel? I'm not sure what will balance properly with the sound of the Audioengines.

Any suggestions?
 
If you are expecting a crowd listening from a wide seating location you need a center channel, but otherwise you do not. Having two fronts taking the role of the center (phantom center) will double output (+3db) at the listening position at the cost of null output at the extremities (point source vs d'appolito radiating pattern).

If you sit at a desk and don't expect many visitors there aren't many (if any) advantages of a center channel.
 
Just me, sitting close. I wondered about that. So 4.1 should provide an equal if not superior listening experience? I won't sacrifice a smooth(er) transition between left and right channels for gaming? Good to know, thanks!
 
I had enough trouble hooking up my Swans and a subwoofer to my computer, how do you plan on hooking the rears up?

I'm interested in doing something similar.
 
Buy another pair of A5s and use one as the center? That ensure perfect matching between LCR.
 
I had enough trouble hooking up my Swans and a subwoofer to my computer, how do you plan on hooking the rears up?

I'm interested in doing something similar.
One of the reasons I went with the Audioengines is their ease of use, with basic audio input PC connections and a volume knob up front. I'm not exactly super pro audiophile, so I was definitely interested in something I could hook up out of the box with zero hassle. The A5s (and A2s) fit the bill. As far as the A2s go, it'll be a simple matter of connecting the pair to the rear channel output on my Auzentech.

Buy another pair of A5s and use one as the center? That ensure perfect matching between LCR.
Ideal, but I'd end up with an extra, unwanted speaker ...
 
Back
Top