• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

AudioEngine A5 -- Sub recommendation please

bencho

2[H]4U
Joined
Sep 15, 2007
Messages
2,093
Hey,

I posted over at AVS but no luck because I think they are better suited for high end HT setups. Little guys like me don't really fit the crowd, yet.

I'm looking for a sub to pair with my A5's. I'm looking for something in the $250 range. Any suggestions out there? Closest I'm looking at is Acoustec H100 at $280 shipped but it's a 12". I'd prefer a solid 8" or a 10" driver to save some space.

Also, little confused with the wiring. A5 has RCA out but some subs have a mono in?

Thanks
 
Last edited:
Subs can have sub ins or LFE ins. If it's an LFE channel, you will want an LFE cable. If it's a sub in, then you can just use a normal 2 RCA to 1 RCA cable connector.

Check out the Mirage Omni subs or the Energy S10.3 or the 8" or 12" version. I have seen these go for as low as $175 shipped on eBay, but normally they are going for around $250 shipped. Maybe $300 sometimes.
 
Cool, sounds good. Radioshack should have some 2rca to 1rca. I'll look into that.

What does LFE in do? low frequency effect?
 
Hmm.. is the LFE in different than the Sub in?

And is there a longer version of that cable? 6" is not going to cut it...

The A5's that I have, have RCA out. it's sweet, for what I know.
I guess that means there's two ways to hook up my system:

PC-- My sound card has miniplug and rca out. so I can rca into the sub, and then run another rca to the A5s. OR I can so miniplug into the A5 and line out to the sub in.

Ipod-- just miniplug into the A5, then rca out to sub in.

Right?
 
Back
Top