• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Audioengine A2 vs. M-Audio AV40

1-anh

Weaksauce
Joined
Nov 30, 2010
Messages
98
Does anyone have recommendations between the Audioengine A2 and the M-Audio AV40? I have read a bit about both of them, however people like both of them equally. The audioengine A2's are a fair bit smaller, but does that affect the sound quality in any way compared to the AV40's? I like both of them, but I prefer the A2's based off their size but the price of the M-Audio's are about $50 cheaper here in canada. If anyone has experience with either set and would recommend one over the other and why, that would be extremely appreciative.
 
What's your budget? The AV40's have more bass but the A2's are more detailed IMO.
 
My budget is around $200, I have a polk micropro 1000 subwoofer that I have connected to my home theatre system which I plan on wiring to the sound card as well for bass.
 
A2 by demolition. For $200 you can grab a pair of BX5A instead. Cheaper if you get a used pair.
 
What do you mean by demolition? Also the BX5A's I have heard arent the most reliable in that they break right after the warranty period. Is this true? I don't wanna spend $200+ on a pair of studio monitors just to have them break right after the warranty period, feels like im just wasting money.
 
I too have heard of reports of amp failures in M-Audio speakers, most notably the BX5A. Lots of people here do like the AV40s; I haven't heard them but I can assure you the A2s will sound very very good. 450 nailed it in post #2. I have the A5 and love them but I did have to pair them with a sub in order to be fully satisfied with the bass output (I came from Logitech Z-680s and the reduction in bass was significant to say the least).
 
I can't say much about the Audioengine A2 but coming from Logitech X-530 5.1 speakers was night and day.

X530 sounded muddy while the AV40 sounded incredibly clear. I don't even care that I have 2.0 speakers they just sound that good.
 
I can't compare the AV40s over the A2s since I have never listened to the A2s, but I do love my AV40s and am more than content with staying with just two speakers. The bass on the AV40s is very good and the mids are very strong. I also like the fact that I can turn the volume on these puppies very high and I don't get any distortion. The AV40s also have a head-phone jack (1/8 inch) right on the front.
 
I personally have the av40s and and heard the bx5 and the A2. My opinion is that the a2s sound better than the av40s but, when it comes to bang for buck, the av40s are the winner in my book
 
I have the Audioengine A2s and I couldn't be more impressed with them. They don't offer much on the lower end, but if you have a subwoofer that won't matter. I came from a set of Klipsh 4.1 speakers and the Audioengine A2s blow them away. So much better separation and clarity. I can't say anything about the AV40s because I have never heard them personally, but I will say the A2s are worth every penny.
 
Back
Top