Audioengine 30 Day Audition

M4573R

Gawd
Has anyone tried this? You can buy their speakers online, and if you don't like them, can return them in 30 days for a full refund. I've never had a pair of quality speakers before I am needing to replace my z-5300's. Once I saw this, I was thinking I could try maybe the A5's or the A2's and see how they work out for games with surround sound emulation compared to 5.1. Any input? Maybe there's a better pair of speakers I could find locally for cheaper.

Last edited:
True, but not if I decide to keep them. I'm not sure how much shipping would be. Are they better than the swans m200mkii?

Better...? Not sure...

Different, yes. I haven't done a direct comparison but I've heard the A2 and I own the M200MKII and I would have to say that the A2 sounds more neutral to my ears... or just less midrange, I can't tell too well. The M200MKII has a more full sound in my opinion. However, that could just be due to the A2 having smaller drivers. The A5 shouldn't have that problem.

Audioengine's customer service is well known to be superb. I would be confident their 30 day trial works the way they say it does. I doubt they have alot of people returning them. After I hooked up my A5's, giving them back was the last thing on my mind.

I would consider the swans m200mkii because they're so much cheaper. Although, I'm not sure if I have enough room for them. I'm trying to find a place locally to check them out.

A5's are great if you dont demand bass. It is seriously lacking (for me at least) in that area. You WILL need a separate sub if you plan on watching movies and want that boom. I'm currently searching for a sub right now and will purchase the PA-120.

AE's customer support is AMAZING. <3 my A5's. Give them some time to break in. It sounds warmer after break in.

Yeah, virtual surround is a hoax if you're looking for anything like true surround, but it certainly does broaden the soundstage. If you're looking for surround type sound, either go for a full surround setup or headphones. The exception of course is very expensive soundbars with tons of speakers that you calibrate to room dynamics, but that'll probably cost you more than a real surround system.

My problem is getting something that will work for gaming,music, and watching movies with other people. I dislike having to wear headphones, and if my z5300's are the only middle route, then I'll keep them. I figure since my rear speakers are just on the corners of the table, then it can't be doing much for surround sound and that a quality new 2.0 or 2.1 system would be a good upgrade. I really know next to nothing as far as audio goes, so I don't know what works and what doesn't. All I know is that I don't want to have to wear headphones.

You can refine your priorities by figuring out what the majority use of your speakers is. I got rid of my Z-5300 speakers because I mostly listen to music which is inherently stereo... and the Audioengines are on a higher plane of existence as far as music is concerned. I do some gaming too and admittedly you need a sub with the A5 speakers if you want to feel the bass. Until I get a sub for these I am content with the compromise.

OP, it will always be a trade off. There is no complete system that will 'handle everything'. I suggest you crawl around some AV forums. I'm a complete noob too but you glean what u can from forums then ask some questions~ If ur lucky, someone will be really nice and help you!

Mr. B - what do you mean the AE are on a higher plane of existence as far as music is concerned??

They handle music immeasurably better than anything Logitech makes.

This sure is tough. It seems like headphones would cover most of my bases, but I don't like being limited to only myself hearing things. My strongest feeling right now is that I need to seriously try some great 2.0 or 2.1 speakers and see for myself how they compare for gaming. Who knows, maybe I'll think they're better.

My room is pretty small and I live in an apartment so rumbly bass is out of the question. My z-5300 bass level is always at its lowest and I've become used to it.

If I could get the A5's for 240, should I jump on them?

Last edited:
I have a big amazon gift card, but they don't have the stupid swans! Otherwise I might have gotten them already. But I can get the A5's from there as open box for pretty cheap.

Get the A5's for 240. I paid 261 shipped with my mw09 code. Get them, they will provide enough bass if you dont want rumble. It's clean bass. Don't expect to do club/trance/hip-hop/rap well enough*

Does anyone know of retailers I could go check them out at? I know places like best buy won't have them but maybe there's a place.

You won't want to return them. I'll be getting a sub for my A5s eventually.

Try coupon code DHT10 if the other one doesn't work, although DHT10 is old.

DHT10 works, or I could just get them on Amazon open box and with a gift card for 240. But regardless of the price, I have yet to find out how well a 2.0 system will work for games.

Depends entirely what you want out of them. For spacial location in front of you, 2.0 should do a decent job. If you want rear surround effects, you won't get anything impressive without a real surround system, but it depends on your priorities.

If you care that much about game audio, you'd want to use headphones anyway. Unless the room is acoustically flat and completely quiet except for any audio coming from your computer, you need the sounds to be produced right by your ears.

Gaming... Headphones are imperative if you are totally hardcore. Turn your head in-game and you'll know exactly where any sound is coming from.

Movies... 2.0 is spectacular with a nice sub. I don't like all this surround sound. It's unnecessary [IMHO] and I'll never go into that until I can afford a dedicated HT room in my mansion ^____^ The A5s will rock your socks off. I'm not a true audiophile but for the price and what I know so far, they sound fantastic. Mids and Highs are warmer than the Klipsch 5.1 Ultras I came from. I was using a 2(+2).1 setup. Used 2 Left and 2 Right fronts with the Ultra sub. It was great but the amp blew and I didn't want to get it fixed again.. again.. A5's produce all the clarity I desire as far as mids and highs go.

Music. 2.0 will always be the best, IMO. Sub if you want to go for that club/hip-hop stuff as well.

Audio is one of those things that's fascinating to learn. If I had the time I'd go into the nitty-gritty of it. Be prepared to spend mad dough if you want the "best".

The A5s run circles around Klipsch's ProMedia line. You have no idea what mids are until you try speakers like the A5s. For the first few months, I heard things in songs I hadn't heard during hundreds of plays.

I want to get a sub for mine, but I live in an apartment. I try to be a kind neighbor, unlike my upstairs neighbors. I'm tempted to get a sub just to offset all the god-damn noise they make. Someone up there watches movies on a home theater system or something, and the sub must be down-firing.

GJSNeptune - Yea, Its amazing what you learn when you become exposed to better technology. My level of 'good' just got raised a few notches haha.
As a little payback, get a big 12" sub :)

Well I'm not totally hardcore, and I've done fine in games so far with my 5.1 with rear speakers basically in front of me. That's why I'm kind of hoping some active monitors will be just great for me. I'm thinking heavily on the A5's, but I honestly think I'd have to hear them first. Then I'd decide. Thanks for all the replies.

I'd get them on amazon. I have like 80 bucks left on a gift card, so they'd be about 240 shipped with free shipping I think.

Back