Audio woes with Onkyo 6.1 tuner

FiZuR

Limp Gawd
Ive been using my home theatre tuner on my PC for many years. When i switched from XP to windows 7, i no longer have a option to select the appropriate channels for my reciever that XP used to give me. I have it connected with a toslink cable and the only thing i can select is 2 channels. Is there any way i can make it give me the correct options for my audio source? Sig for machine specs.

If you go I to the sound settings you should have a configure speakers button that allows you much more control than xp.
Now powerdvd and such have their own settings that need to be adjusted.

It's there you just need to find it. Do you have the drivers installed for your sound card?

Make sure you install your motherboard and sound card drivers. Windows 7 can be a little deceiving because everything works so well right away on a fresh install, but the sound drivers normally need to be installed to get the full capabilities.

i have the latest realtek drivers installed and i have gone to the configure the device settings and i only get the option for 2 channel audio, but nothing more than that. If i use analog with my headset, i can set it for 5.1.

Can you just tell your sound card to use the S/PDIF? Your receiver should be able to figure everything else out as long as you have the proper codecs and such installed.

S/PDIF Interface Properties
The Supported Formats Tab you can choose what your receiver is able to decode
The Advanced Tab only allows you to pick the default shared format, which is 2 channels.

No idea if I am evening helping, I've never had an issue with my Onkyo and Windows 7. It just pretty much has worked for me after installing the sound card drivers, chose default S/PDIF and properly configured the codecs.

Last edited:
You need to enable Dolby Digital or DTS (or similar depending on your sound card).

i use the onboard audio. i dont think it has the DD or DTS capability, but my reciever does.

If XP gave you 5.1 via SPDIF, then your soundcard does support DD / DTS or similar.

Back