Audio upgrade questions

Judd Sandage

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 6, 2004
Messages
187
I know this has been answered multiple times in the past but I can't seem to find any info. anyways I have an Audigy2 Platinum purchased when it first came out, and have been using it for the last I don't know 4 years? anywho I recently upgraded to an EVGA 680i board and am using the onboard audio for my needs right now (I work tech support for EVGA from home and only use a USB headset for most of the time) and am looking to maybe put back the audigy or upgrade to something better, and I was looking at the steadily dropping price of the X-Fi fatality but it being out for 2+ years I was wondering if I should wait for the X-Fi 2 or maybe heaven forbid.... something other then creative that would be better then my audigy2?
 
It depends almost entirely on your specific needs. There have been a number of changes with the X-Fi since the Audigy 2, but a lot of these changes don't really end up equating into anything substantial in terms of sound quality. A lot of the components are actually identical or very similar to what's used on the Audigy 2, and RightMark measurements reflect that.

That being said, there are some new things, such as CMSS-3D (a faux-3D headphone tech), the Crystalizer (a fixed-band limiter) and a very accurate, less-lossy sample rate conversion technique, which quite frankly doesn't do too terribly much for most folks. There's also EAX 5.0, which not too terribly many games support.

With the Z-680s, I couldn't tell you if you'll be able to hear any real difference between the two cards. My guess is that you may notice some slight improvement at higher volumes maybe.
 
just use your audigy2plat unless you decide to go DDlive or real time DTS encode. i have had the adigy2plat for just as long and it is more then enough for what you have. now i am back to useing my onboard (soundstorm) because i needed the DDlive for my receiver when upgrading from z-680s. this is the same reason i picked up a bluegears card (DDlive) for my home theater.

if you game stick with the audigy.
if your watch movies go for a htpc friendly card: bluegears, azutech
for music many go for dedicated dac.

a mixture of these will lead to comprimise but you audigy sould be fine.
 
First of all, a USB headset is not going to use the capabilities of any soundcard (I'm unsure if the soundcard will allow pure digital processing so you can access just the DSPs). If you've been using your USB headset this entire time thinking that your Audigy has actually been producing any music, you've been fooled. The DAC inside your headset has been producing the music, and it won't get any better.
 
I just ordered a set of the Sennhiser HD-555s and will be putting back in the computer my Audigy2, I do mostly listen to music and play the BF2 and BF2142, so I think sticking with that card for now would be my best bet... as I don't like the onboard, way to bass heavy and not loud enough. I have to crank the bass down almost to off for the speakers and I have to be about the half way mark for the overall audio for me to hear much. does anyone know of an X-Fi 2? or have they just decided to not do one and just come out with cheaper alternatives like the extream gamer and music?
 
Back
Top