Audio Upgrade Options

jzodda

Gawd
Joined
Mar 19, 2007
Messages
657
Building a new system this month (C2D). Since 1998 I have had the following setup which worked well for me:

Speakers: 5 AR 208V bookshelves. (Down to 3) 2 Front, 1 for Center channel
Surrounds: Dayton Audio surrounds. Don't remember the details. Got them when the dog knocked over the rears on stands 5 years ago.

Receiver: Sherwood RVD 8090R
Sub: AR S112PS 12" Subwoofer

So I had my system's SB Live connected to the receivers 6 channel audio till I upgraded to Nvidia Soundstorm and went digital. Now I Am going back to the Creative XFI Gamer so I want to go back to 6 channel for gaming, which I think sounded better. This new system will be used for Gaming 90% and the occasional MP3 but thats all. I have a dedicated HT setup in another room.

Its hard to tell if I really need to upgrade or not, but its been so long I kind of feel like upgrading because I am upgrading everything else but I don't know exactly to get. I wanted advice on what you audio guru's thought is a good way to go. I am willing to put upto $500-$600 into upgrades.

I was thinking I could either

A. Leave it alone and just connect to 6 channel audio on the creative card
B. Replace the receiver with a newer model that does 6 channel and leave the rest alone
C. Replace the receiver, get a dedicated center channel speaker and leave the rest alone
D. Replace the receiver, center and surrounds.
E. Replace all the speakers, including getting a dedicated center channel with maybe 4 Atoms or something like them.

One of the things I was thinking of doing is getting 4 Paradigm Atoms if I can find them and using them with the sub/receiver plus a dedicated center. Then upgrade the receiver now or when I get some extra cash. Once you move from the boxed computer speaker setups it seems to open you up to lots of options but i've been out of the audio game for 7 or so years and so I have a lot of catching up to do.

I see the weaknesses in my system as the lack of a dedicated center, kind of cheap surrounds and a 9 year old reciever. It still kicks ass in games though and the AR 208V fronts as welll as the AR S112PS sub still belt out great music to my ears. I take it there is no comparable strictly computer 5.1 system to compete with what I have already? Or am I wrong? So knowing what I have, and what money I have to work with what would you do?

Thanks in advance!
 
As an owner of a couple older receivers, I know full well that modern components do not always outshine older equipment. That being said, though, a new receiver might be advantageous depending upon your other needs, such as being able to input and switch video, or being able to do decoding, room correction and other more "modern" tasks.

Of course, if you like the color your amp brings to the table, can you really feel safe about switching?

The center is the focal point for movies, but it's not nearly as critical for surround gaming or music. Whether or not it's a real weakness depends on your usage, and if that's 90% gaming, I'd stick with your current setup. You're voice-matched in the front, and that's important.

I'd personally replace the surrounds with a pair of 208Vs, or perhaps voice-matched dipoles if they make any. You'd lose a bit of localization with dipoles, but you might want that.

Go with your gut. You've probably already made a decision of some sort, and it's probably the right one. You know your system better than anyone else.
 
I'd stick with your current setup. You're voice-matched in the front, and that's important.

I'd personally replace the surrounds with a pair of 208Vs, or perhaps voice-matched dipoles if they make any. You'd lose a bit of localization with dipoles, but you might want that.

Go with your gut. You've probably already made a decision of some sort, and it's probably the right one. You know your system better than anyone else.

You know thats what I was thinking I would do. Get matched all around. Just have to find a pair of AR 208Vsfor sale. I'll check ebay. Then if I want I may go with a newer receiver, maybe a good refurb of one thats been out the past year or two. The AR 208's have been through more upgrades then I can count and have done a nice job.

Thanks for your thoughts on this :)
 
Back
Top