• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Audio toggle for hd485's

alkaline

Gawd
Joined
Jan 31, 2006
Messages
727
I just got my HD485's [love em x2] but i was wondering if there was an audio toggle i could purchase for them. There is no way for me to change the volume on the fly, my sound card doesnt have a knob and the headpones dont have anything either. is there an add on that i could attach to my phones to do that?
 
I am also curious about what exactly an amp does. can i control my volume through an amp? I am new to audio, fill me in please =]
 
alkaline said:
will adding that to my cans affect my sound quality any?

Adding a cheap variable resistor will affect your sound quality for the worse.

Adding an amp like the CMOY may affect your quality but most likely for the better.
 
I'm of the opinion, it may be flawed, that if your onboard computer soundcard is your current source for the headphones, that the volume control I linked to may affect your sound quality slightly, but hardly noticable. Truthfully, the thing is only 6.00, so I'd say try it out and see if you can tell a difference with/without it. I'm not at all familiar with your cans, so I really couldn't say. I didn't really notice much of a difference using my MDR-V600's much at all, but never really tested it for quality with/without it though, so I could be mistaken. Hope this helps you out. I do think that m1abram is correct though, in principle, that an amp, while more expensive, is less likley to be detrimental to your SQ.
 
alkaline said:
I am also curious about what exactly an amp does. can i control my volume through an amp? I am new to audio, fill me in please =]
Well, if the amp has a volume control knob, then yea........ you can control the volume from the amp. It's more money then just a passive preamp with volume control.
 
I cant buy parts for the CMOY amp locally, anyone know a good one that I can buy online? Thanks for your help guys =]
 
It's not a CMOY per say, but its decent for the price, and the guy who builds them is really nice to work with.
http://www.electric-avenues.com/audio8.html

For 60$, you get an amp, a AC adapter, little 3.5mini cable, and free shipping.

Its very passive, so don't expect much in the way of sonic changes.

MisterX builds amps for people, but I do not recommend him.

~Hope this helps
 
If you want to you could do this on the cheap.

Read the tutorial here for some background.

Then realize that you can find a very small linear pot. Make an inline audio control. Basically it'll be a resistor and a linear pot wrapped up in heatshrink.

attenuator.JPG
 
Back
Top