Audio Thru support?

defaultluser

[H]F Junkie
I just recently purchased an Intel Mac Mini for use as my low-power always on computer. In the past, I have connected the audio between my two computers such that the always on machine acted as a passthru. The audio from computer 1 would go into the line-in on computer 2, and the combined audio output from computer 2 would go to the stereo.

Unfortunately, this Mac Mini is the first computer I've ever seen that couldn't do passthru. There seems to be an option under Utilities / Audio MIDI Setup to enable the audio thru, but those checkboxes are disabled.

My current solution is to use an application called Audio Recorder, and check the Monitor box. This is not an optimal solution because it a processor-hungry PPC application, and the Monitor checkbox is always unchecked by default when the program loads.

So, it is obvious the Mac can perform audio passthru, but there's no obvious way to do it without some crappy 3rd-party program. What am I missing? There has to be a better solution.

piako said:

Well, this confirms it, OS X has a very stupid flaw that Neither Windows, Linux or OS9 share:

...you can use LineIn to play sound coming in through a microphone or any other device plugged in to your Sound In port, just as was once available with OS 9's "Play input through output device."

Apparantly, they dropped the feature for OS X. Hopefully, these applications will seamlessly replace the missing feature :D

Thanks, I'll give these a shot.

try wiretap pro.

if you dont want to record and just want to hear line in, you dont need to register. its free functionality will serve you just fine

Thanks folks, LineIn is both x86 native, and defaults to the last setting you had before you closed it. I still have to use a 3rd-party utility, but this one is much nicer.

Dammit! Why did I never think of asking for something like this?
Thank you so much for this thread!
*Guitars away*

Back