• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Audio Technica headset headphone mic mod

G-Prime

Limp Gawd
Joined
Feb 18, 2010
Messages
267
I modded a mic into my audio technica headphones so i could use them for pc/console gaming, i used mogami 2 conductor wire and a single 3.5mm female termination installed into the open area of the inside of the can and sleeved the wires together using techflex carbon sleeving. I used two gold plated 3.5mm male stereo terminations for the mic and headphones. i use an e5 headphone amp from fiio for my console gaming thats also pictured in the album. Let me know what you guys think

items

-flexable mic from amazon http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00284VD02/ref=oss_product (or rip a boom mic out of a cheap headset, i have done both)


- mogami 2 conductor wire

- 3.5mm (1/8in) female jack (stereo in this case)

- 2x 3.5mm gold plated Male terminations (stereo)

- techflex carbon sleeving

- and a couple pieces of heat shrink from ebay.

total cost was approx: 28$ for mine but it can be done much cheaper.

I did a bose headset with the wire from a zalman clip on mic and used the boom mic from an old xbox headset i just wired a 3.5 mm male termination to. that total mod was only 6$ because all i bought were the terminations.

IMG_2462.jpg


IMG_2461.jpg


IMG_2463.jpg


IMG_2464.jpg


IMG_2465.jpg


IMG_2466.jpg


IMG_2467.jpg


IMG_2468.jpg


IMG_2473.jpg


IMG_2474.jpg


IMG_2475.jpg


IMG_2476.jpg


IMG_2477.jpg


IMG_2478.jpg


IMG_2479.jpg


IMG_2480.jpg


IMG_2482.jpg


a direct link to the album with all the pictures listed http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff472/josheatspeople/
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
That is a great mod! I ended up buying the Zalman clip-on mic and just winding it around and clipping it on the cable to my Audio Technicas. Might give this a try when I'm ready to buy a second pair or when I replace the pads.
 
Cool mod, but what's with the paintball mask?

it was just something to put the headphones on to take a picture, the mic looks super long with the headphones just laying on the desk, but it is an appropriate length when you are actually wearing the headphones. Just a size/fit comparison
 
Nice mod, Very clean. I like the fact that you can replace the mic in the future and just plug another one in.

When you put the headset on the mask, I was instantly reminded of the ventrilo icon. :p
 
Nice mod, Very clean. I like the fact that you can replace the mic in the future and just plug another one in.

When you put the headset on the mask, I was instantly reminded of the ventrilo icon. :p

lol yeah, the original reason for making the mic detachable was because i didn't want to have a mic beside my head when i was just listening to music.
 
I just added an earforce dss dolby headhphone audio processor to the setup, its actually pretty useful, the virtual center and rear speakers are very easily distinguished, in my games it has proven very useful for positioning. Definity happy with the purchase, i went with the earforce beacuse i got a good deal on it, i was saving for an astro mixamp but this has the same dolby headphone features with optical audio in and i got it for half the cost of the mixamp,
 
Nice mod. Kinda reminded me of Ghost from Modern Warfare 2 for some reason.
 
yeah, the mixamp has the mic volume control and the link feature for other mixamps but i have to say i'm very happy with this setup. I just with i had some better games to play =/ the ear force dss is an amp as well but it isn't as powerful. i considered using that fiio amp on the output from the earforce, but it isn't necessary unless i get some much more powerful headphones. I got some senn hd555's on the way, i'm curious about the difference in the sound stage quality. I will be selling one set of headphones for sure though.
 
Those in the picture are actually ad300's. i used the 300s for this first mod just incase i messed something up, i didn't want to destroy anything too expensive. But this was the first time i had ever tried anything like this, i just got my set of sennhieser hd555's in and will be putting a mic port in them later this week. This second mod will be much cleaner. I was very impressed with the performace of the ad300's though, very close to the 500's and they sound really good when amped. I may continue playing games with this set instead of the senns just because of how comfortable these audio technica cans are.
 
where did you pick up the jack? trying to find one with minimal clearance
 
Got the same headphone amp! Nice!

Cool mod, but as another poster said, I just bought the Zalman attachment. Clip on, Clip off. ;)
 
Just got to make sure the microphone volume is up in game, and I have the recording volume all the way up + noise suppression in the Realtek Manager.

Also I have mine positioned a hand's length below my chin (about 8 inches give or take).
 
zalman works great for pc, but my consoles lack mic controls and the zalman was very quiet clipped even to my shirt collar. That headphone amp is pretty handy, i enjoy the size of it. I also recently bought an astro mixamp and have been pretty happy with the dolby headphone and mic mixing features, i have the earforce dss dolby headphone processor on one xbox and the mixamp on the other box with twin 1080p monitors, i'm very happy with the setup - i just need some better games to play.
 
I want to do this mod. However; I don't know exactly which parts I will need to not only do the MIC but replace the headphone wire. It's busted from running over it with my chair too many times in the last 5 years. I love these headphones and I don't have the funds to grab a new pair.

Anyone have instructions, to replace the headphone wire to the cup internally? I do have soldering experience with modchips so that shouldn't be a big deal.

So in the short I'd like to first replace the headphone wire for sound, then do the microphone mod secondly or both at once is fine.

Your help is appreciated. Thanks!

Btw I have the ATH-A700's
 
For my A900s I used Mogami W2534 but I've used Canare Star Quad L-4E6S on the others I've done since it's cheaper. The headphones themselves only run right/left/ground so just having a 4th wire for the mic is all you need, hence the above choices. All you need to do is run the wire and zip tie it once it's inside the cup so it doesn't pull out and then solder it to the driver, the A700 has a remote solder point for the other driver so you only ever have to solder on the left driver unless the right driver has a problem with it's wire.
 
Thx for the inspiration! Took the time to fix mine and going to try and make them nice looking in the future. :)
 
Back
Top