• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Audio Static?

Roadhog

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 21, 2009
Messages
282
I am getting audio static at random times, most often when I am dragging a window around with a video playing, or in some game menus. This developed since I moved my second gpu down a couple pcie slots to help them run cooler. I tried the sound card in different slots too..

Any ideas on what could be the cause of the static?

EDIT: It also does it with Crossfire disabled.
 
Last edited:
If you are using your front ports switch to the rears. I noticed huge static when I started using better headphones when I was connected to the front ports. When I moved to the rear ports on my card it was nice and clear. If you're not using your front ports I dunno.
 
If you're using the HDMI output to your receiver, I believe it's a driver issue...

I just upgraded to a 5850 from a 4870 and I'm having the same problem. There's also random channel dropouts where the front channels will play on the rear speakers (if you have audio configured to 5.1), right? By the way, none of these audio problems were present on the 4870. There's a long standing discusion of this problem on AVSforum, last I checked.

The easiest "fix" is to lower your audio settings to 24 bit 48 KHz sampling rate or 16 bit 96 KHz sampling rate. Protected audio (like Dolby Digital or DTS-HD, etc) doesn't give me any problems on higher bitrates, it's only playing PCM with high settings that gives terrible issues.

I tried the new beta drivers (8.703 video driver package from 2/10/10) on guru3d, but the updated audio driver still gives the same issues. ...so I guess they're at least trying to fix the issue?

I also downloaded the new drivers on Realtek's website. The last drivers from their site actually showed "HDCP : Unsupported" while these show Supported. The Realtek drivers (R2.42) reduce the frequency and amount of static, but still don't completely eliminate it. The channels bouncing around still happens.
 
Last edited:
There's some Sound Blaster setting called "What You Hear." Find it and turn it down or off or whatever. that's the issue. I think I had that when I first installed Win 7.
 
Back
Top