Audio Setup ?s

ern

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jun 7, 2006
Messages
160
For those of you using bookshelf/floorstanders with your audio, how are you going about your setup? I see some of you using a receiver as I do with my surround sound in the living room for my home theater setup. Do you guys run it to your sound card? I also see some of you guys using a small foot print amp. How do you go about connecting that to the pc? Coax or Toslink? Also, are many of you using an internal sound card or using something else?

I ask because im tired of using pc speakers. Im just gonig to buy a set of bookshelf speakers like my rears in the living room and use those. I just wanted to know whats the best way to go about doing it.
 
Most mobos have a digital out. It is either optical or you can use usb.

You can buy another receiver and speakers of your choice and just hook it up. Gaming sound cards like the Prelude have optical output too.
 
I guess I forgot to mention I have a Xfi Music from creative? I had it in my other computer before i upgraded earlier this summer. I just havent gotten around to installing it as Im just using the motherboard right now. Has some wierd feedback too.
 
Get rid of that x-fi xtreme music. It does not have optical out and is not a real x-fi. You want to use the mobo or upgrade to a Prelude or X-FI Titanium if you are gaming.
 
The "not a real X-Fi" is the Xtreme Audio, not the Xtreme Music :)
 
Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeMusic

Thats exactly what I have if anyone is confused. No, it doesnt have a toslink connection on the back. My motherboard does but I wasnt sure if thats the best way about doing it or get a sound card. Should I look into a new sound card?
 
lol I always get that wrong.

probably b/c I think they all stink.

ok.

So use the X-Fi. It has a flexjack which is either an digital output or Mic input. If you need to talk on vent then I think that you can use the Mobo mic input? I don't remember sorry. I used a laptop for vent and x-fire when I was competing.

Ram electronics has the 1/8th to rca coaxial cable needed to hook the x-fi up to a dac or receiver.
 
Well I need the mic for ventrillo. So that wont work. Are they external sound cards via like usb or firewire? Then run the amp from there? Or should I just get a receiver? lol. Id like for this to be cost effective. I like the T amp but its not a toslink connection and doesnt have a dedicated line for a sub. I guess just listening to music, there isnt much need for toslink as music is only 2 channel audio anyways?
 
Yeah it is a bit of a bummer. The MS40 dac sounds just fine btw. For the $120 or so that it costs it completely dominates anything logi crap or klipsch puts out for the pc. Anyone who says different is "different" lol. I mean that lovingly.

If you get the MS40s and run them from your mobo, then just continue to use the mic jack on your mobo.

Easy.

If you want to spend some cash, I think a Prelude sound card and a pair of Swan 1080 powered monitors would be pretty damn nice too. Mic would work fine. All you have to do is get a 1/8th to rca cable and run it from the Prelude into the 1080s. This setup will give you more dynamic range from top to bottom plus EAX 5.0 support and do well with 2-channel music.

More $$?

Panasonic XR-57 receiver and a pair of Usher 520 or similar speakers.
 
I like the small foot print of the T-amp but do they make an amp that supports a sub? I dislike using speaker wire for the other way. If not, i may just get a receiver.
 
If you want to spend some cash, I think a Prelude sound card and a pair of Swan 1080 powered monitors would be pretty damn nice too. Mic would work fine. All you have to do is get a 1/8th to rca cable and run it from the Prelude into the 1080s. This setup will give you more dynamic range from top to bottom plus EAX 5.0 support and do well with 2-channel music.

Add a sub and run the whole thing off of the Prelude. That would be a NICE sounding, simple system that you can add to piece by piece.
 
If you want to spend some cash, I think a Prelude sound card and a pair of Swan 1080 powered monitors would be pretty damn nice too. Mic would work fine. All you have to do is get a 1/8th to rca cable and run it from the Prelude into the 1080s. This setup will give you more dynamic range from top to bottom plus EAX 5.0 support and do well with 2-channel music.

Add a sub and run the whole thing off of the Prelude. That would be a NICE sounding, simple system that you can add to piece by piece.

It sure is.
I'm running a Prelude connected to a good AV amp and set of decent 5.1 speakers.
Awesome!

I have a new sub coming next week called the BK Monolith, it competes with the best subs and is only £400.
Best value sub you can get, probably the best value hifi component you can get!
http://www.bkelec.com/HiFi/Sub_Woofers/monolith-df.htm
Worth checking out if you want some serious oomph.
 
Back
Top