Audio setup advice for DT770 250ohm

roadlesstraveled

Limp Gawd
I just purchased a pair of DT770 250ohm headphones and would like some advice on the rest of my audio setup. I've read that these headphones need to be driven by an external amp. Since I'm new to this I'm turning to you guys for advice. I'd like to keep the cost at $60 or less. My choices within this budget are the following: Cmoy, Fiio E11, PA2V2, Soundmagic A-10, and there's quite a few no name amps on ebay.

Next up is the sound card. I currently own an Asus Xonar DG. Is this sound card sufficient?

Last but not least is an external DAC necessary?

return the 250ohm version and get the 32 ohm

that or you could get a xonar stx. bangin card

or better yet, return the dt770s and get some (32ohm) denon ahd2000s. A lot more bass, (deeper too) if that's what you're looking for, and it just sounds better in every way. It'l sound bomb with the xonar you already have.

Last edited:
NuForce Icon Mobile would fit the bill for interface and amp at $80. Better conversion than the Xonar DG, and it'll drive those cans decently enough. Fiio E11 that you mentioned will drive them fine too. The bummer with the E11 though is you can't charge it and use it at the same time, so that's not exactly ideal for a desktop situation.

Thanks for the productive comment Farkle. While the E11 can't be charged and used at the same time it's only $65 for the amp with an extra battery and an external charger. My only question with this setup is if a DAC is necessary since I'll only be using these headphones with my computer?

Well you need a DAC somewhere. Music is digital in your PC and sound is analog so somewhere you have to convert the signal to analog before you amplify it.

Thanks for the productive comment Farkle. While the E11 can't be charged and used at the same time it's only $65 for the amp with an extra battery and an external charger. My only question with this setup is if a DAC is necessary since I'll only be using these headphones with my computer?

Well, you have 2 DAC's you can try out already. Your onboard computer audio and Asus card have a DAC to output analog audio. Just try both of them into the line in on the amp you decide to buy before going to an standalone DAC type solution. The main reason people use a stand alone DAC is to get the analog conversion out of a possible noisy pc case, and the second is because of bad quality DAC's. If your onboard or soundcard sound good to you, you're done.

Back