Audio set-up for $300

slugger_2003

Limp Gawd
Joined
Jan 30, 2007
Messages
365
I am looking for an audio set-up for around $300. I notice the logitech z-5500 are in that price range and notice there seems to be nothing but good said about them. At the moment I stay in a rather small room so surround sound isn't really a big deal for me, nor is the ability to play sound at a loud volume, I'm mainly looking for clarity.
I believe it's possible to start off with a 2.1 set-up and with time, expand upon it if necessary? I'm an audio novice so please take this into consideration with your posts.
So to summerise, I'm looking for a 2.1 audio set-up in the $300 range with the ability to expand on it in the future, any advice/comments?

Thanks
 
yup.

Sherwood 6500 receiver $120, 2 decent $100 bookshelves like Polk, Yamaha, Klipsch or check your local craigslist, and a sub like the Dayton 8" for $100.

You can upgrade the speakers if you like or add more. A center channel speaker would be a great upgrade. The sherwood is an audio only receiver. no HDMI. if you want that I believe the Onkyo 505 is the cheapest?
 
What's a receiver? I presume it's a piece of hardware that receives the signal from all the speakers and the sound card and acts as a router,per se?
A bookshelf? As in a speaker? Is there a difference between a "speaker" and a "bookshelf", obviously with reference to audio equipment.
I am in the UK so don't have a craigslist. I probably should have mentioned this as it may affect the equipment available to me, hence the advice given to me.
I've seen people mention an amplifier and other "buzzwords". Does a receiver also act as an amplifier?
Do the z-5500 speakers have a receiver/amplifier built into it?
I presume one can set this up in such a way so that it can be controlled via a remote control?
Audio only receiver? What other kinds of receivers do you get? HDMI with respect to audio? Sorry I'm a bit lost with this....
 
lost? what is a receiver? lol yeah you are lost.

receiver is the box you plug everything into and it powers the speakers. google receiver and look up the sherwood 6500. read a bit.

you don't need hdmi. it is more of a pain than it is worth to me. especially for PC audio/video.

you might just want to get the 5500s and call it a day. they are really easy to set up.
 
Yeah, while the Z-5500s aren't quite worth what Logitech asks for them (if you ask me), they're still probably the best 5.1 computer system under $300. And, hey, surround sound is just plain fun. I'd get them from J&R or Newegg personally. $249 at J&R, $257 at Newegg.

You might check out Creative's offerings, as they might be more appropriate for your goals (clarity, not loudness).
 
I am looking for an audio set-up for around $300. I notice the logitech z-5500 are in that price range and notice there seems to be nothing but good said about them. At the moment I stay in a rather small room so surround sound isn't really a big deal for me, nor is the ability to play sound at a loud volume, I'm mainly looking for clarity.
I believe it's possible to start off with a 2.1 set-up and with time, expand upon it if necessary? I'm an audio novice so please take this into consideration with your posts.
So to summerise, I'm looking for a 2.1 audio set-up in the $300 range with the ability to expand on it in the future, any advice/comments?

Thanks
I'd suggest you ditch the Logitech idea and instead build your own 2.1ch system. I just did the same and this is what I ended up with

AudioTrak Prodigy HD2 sound card $75
Dayton Audio SUB-80 $95
AudioSource Amp100 $80

I already had some good bookshelf speakers so I didn't have to buy those.
 
Yeah but he is uk. Sorry mate I am not familiar with the offerings across the pond. Try asking around locally if there are shops or online forums where you can purchase used gear. Also, ask their opinions. There are plenty of uk here so maybe start a new thread including the uk part. Like $300 in the UK for a stereo.
 
Back
Top