Audio positioning with Sony MDR-XD200

n00btard

Gawd
Joined
Dec 10, 2005
Messages
922
Just bought a Sony MDR-XD200 for the equivalent of roughly $32 (Those damn Japanese people now include the tax in the price tag... WHY DON`T WE!?) in Japanese money... and giving it a test run on a lappy at grandpa`s place. So anyways...

The positioning of the audio sounds like everything is either right next to me or behind me. Is this due to the lack of a physical center channel found in speaker-based surround sound setups, headphones not "broken in," or is this just pure shit on Sony`s behalf?
 
Hmm $32 plus Sony headphones. I would chock up as 'pure shit' but don't take my word for it :)

Since you are in Japan why don't you check out the Audio Technica A500s. A little more pricey but probably worth the extra cost.
 
synergyo1 said:
Hmm $32 plus Sony headphones. I would chock up as 'pure shit' but don't take my word for it :)

Since you are in Japan why don't you check out the Audio Technica A500s. A little more pricey but probably worth the extra cost.

trying to be as cheap as possible here, I want to splurge on a WC setup once I get back home. Also, I`d have to go to Tokyo or other major tech centers to get such stuff, something I cannot do, since driving there would leech money away in gas and toll booth fees, and taking a train there is equally expensive. Sony headphones were the best choice at the momeny, except for the $20 Panasonic headphones I saw elsewhere. I`ve got two weeks left before I go back to Canada, I`ll see if it`s just a "break-in" problem.
 
Ahh OK.

Where are you located btw? My friends and I are planning a 3 week trip this winter (celebrate New Years at Heian Temple, but half the time will be spent at Tokyo area).
 
synergyo1 said:
Ahh OK.

Where are you located btw? My friends and I are planning a 3 week trip this winter (celebrate New Years at Heian Temple, but half the time will be spent at Tokyo area).

Awaji Island in Hyogo prefecture. Seaside region called "Sumoto." Fishing boats everywhere, rice paddies everywhere as you go inland. But vending machines are EVERYWHERE. So are mini-minivans. It`s a really nice place, as long as you don`t mind everyone staring at you if you 1) Don`t look Japanese or 2) Speak English fluently.
 
n00btard said:
Awaji Island in Hyogo prefecture. Seaside region called "Sumoto." Fishing boats everywhere, rice paddies everywhere as you go inland. But vending machines are EVERYWHERE. So are mini-minivans. It`s a really nice place, as long as you don`t mind everyone staring at you if you 1) Don`t look Japanese or 2) Speak English fluently.

lol. Just give them the Gaijin Stare (tm). They'll stop staring :)
 
These sony's are decent unlike the lower-end kind that aren't XD series. Maybe some settings on the lappy is changed to corrupt the soundstage? Check, and make sure the settings for speakers are not on HEADPHONES. Have it at stereo.
 
Sound stage problem is getting better somewhat... I think it`s just a matter of breaking them in. The drivers are physically slanted backwards to direct sound to the ear lobes to create a wider sound stage.

They don`t fart in the low end unlike the other two headphones I`ve owned in the past (Some piece of crap JVC model and an Altec Lansing model with a porked right sound driver) , and are actually kinda comfortable to wear.

Off topic: If you wanna see some really beautiful scenery in Japan, go to the Nara prefecture. That place is kickass.
 
Back
Top