Audio noob needs suggestions (please?)

Private_Ops

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jun 4, 2007
Messages
1,870
I'm trying to get away from my desktop and go mobile with my laptop.

Sadly I have no good headphones nor have I ever. The best thing I've ever had was a cheap pair of Sonys that I had used with gaming (also moving away from that as well, takes up to much time that I could use for something else) and I thought they sounded awsome but, they had a bit of "hollow" sound... they no longer work for some reason.


Anyway, I couldn't tell you the audio chip in my laptop (it has an Nvidia chipset). At the moment I'm looking into building a Cmoy with a TLO82 that I found locally (my god Radio Shack had a chip worth buying?!).

My priorities are mainly music. Some light gaming mixed in some where there but , gaming IS NOT a priority.

I'm not a big fan of small headphones and I need something that is decently comfortable since I wear glasses.


Since I'm still in school and don't have a real job I'm on a budget of about $100-150. Hopefully with in that price range they make something for a novice?

Suggestions and comments appreciated.
 
If you could splurge a little bit ($200) the Grado SR 225, Sennheiser HD 595 and Audio Technica A900 are all very good cans that will last you a long time. If those are too pricey, for $100 you could get a pair of Sennheiser HD 555.
 
Audio Technica 700 series either open or closed for around $100-150 or if you want to go cheap the Koss R-80 for about $40.

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-154336-R-80-Home-Headphones/dp/B00005N9D2

you will want to upgrade the source and amplification for best results. that can get complicated but check out head-fi's portable, computer audio, and headphone sections. lots to learn there.
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Audio Technica 700 series either open or closed for around $100-150 or if you want to go cheap the Koss R-80 for about $40.

http://www.amazon.com/Koss-154336-R-80-Home-Headphones/dp/B00005N9D2

you will want to upgrade the source and amplification for best results. that can get complicated but check out head-fi's portable, computer audio, and headphone sections. lots to learn there.

I can get/make an amp but I'm not to sure they make PCMIA sound cards do they?

As for the 700 series. Are these any good?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826402014
 
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
There are some decent USB sound cards floating around these days.

Newegg has a $30 "trade-up" rebate on the Sennheiser hd555 headphones which would bring them down to $70 which is a great deal
 
There are some decent USB sound cards floating around these days.

Newegg has a $30 "trade-up" rebate on the Sennheiser hd555 headphones which would bring them down to $70 which is a great deal


Don't want USB. My laptop only has 3.
 
Don't want USB. My laptop only has 3.

So? Mine does too. A usb dac or sound card will yield the greatest improvement in sound period. You could spend whatever on the headphones and they would still sound crappy compared to a real source/amp b/c you are trying to use the laptops headphone out.

If you want something inexpensive, just get some sub-$100 headphones or iems that are REALLY easy to drive and go on down the road.
 
Back
Top