Audio Newbie

yang88she

2[H]4U
I sold my z5500's b/c I inherited a 5.1 Home theater system plus a couple of receivers...

but I am absolutely clueless as to how to get everything connected and how to get them to work w/ my Asus Essence STX.

I'm not if what I got for free from my brother's mother-in-law is any good, other than that her ex husband typically splurges on whatever he buys and he bought these items...

I have a yamaha RX-V530 and a Denon AVR-1705, can I use these together? I do I only need one?

and some Mirage Nanosat 5.1

here are some pics....

imag0406.jpg

imag0417t.jpg

imag0416.jpg

TIA!

Nice! Mirage Nanosats are great.

One use one receiver. Try out both, but my money would be on the Denon. (I've owned a version of the Yamaha and a similar unit from Denon)

Do you have a subwoofer yet?

Connect the soundcard to the Denon via coaxial S/PDIF connection. EDIT: The STX has Dolby Digital Live.

yes, the Mirage came w/ a sub, it looks like a 10" such underneath it...the satellites are significantly heavier than my old z5500's

yes, the Mirage came w/ a sub, it looks like a 10" such underneath it...the satellites are significantly heavier than my old z5500's

Yeah you're set. Just grab a coaxial cable (any rca cable should work) and get it positioned right.

One more thing... On your receiver of choice, make sure you set the Nanosats as SMALL have the subwoofer crossover point setup properly. You might have to play around with the crossover settings for a while.

Yeah you're set. Just grab a coaxial cable (any rca cable should work) and get it positioned right.

One more thing... On your receiver of choice, make sure you set the Nanosats as SMALL have the subwoofer crossover point setup properly. You might have to play around with the crossover settings for a while.

haha, well you're kinda talking in a different language as my head started swimming after I looked on the back of the receiver w/ 4 dozen knobs haha

This is how I have mine hooked up, I just bought some 3.5mm mini plug to RCA and went out of the front, center/sub, rear on the sound card to the multi channel in on the receiver. On your denon it is the 6 RCA terminals to the far left of the unit. they are label just plug in the corresponding rca and you're golden
IMG_0043.jpg

IMG_0044.jpg

ok this is how I have mine setup, I have all the satellites and sub connected correctly (according to the manual)

but when I turn on the receiver I do not get the option of digital out as my input (ie. I have SPDIF to TOSLINK from my STX) to the receiver

I'm not sure if it's something on my STX that I need to do as I clicked SPDIF "out"

I'm assuming that the only way to connect my STX to the receiver is the SPDIF to optical...or can I do an analog signal?

imag0518.jpg

I have never used an asus sound card so I'm not sure how the software is setup. But go into windows audio settings and run a speaker test and see if you get sound out of all five of them.

I get it when I run that test and nothing else. I ruled windows as the issue because on my sound card there is no control over the optical.

it just gives me an option to click SPDIF Out w/ a drop down window of Dolby Digital Live or Headphones and if I click on the DDL, I get no sound from my Headphones

I may try the yamaha receiver as I can't seem to figure out the Denon...but then again I'm not sure if it's something I need to do on the STX

ok got sound using my yamaha receiver, but I only get the 2 fronts...but I think it's b/c I'm using analog

That would be correct, You won't get surround using the analog out. You may try the denon again and use the DDL and see if you get sound. If that is the case you will need to plug your headphones into the receiver rather then directly to the sound card.

yang88she, you can use the yamaha or denon, use coaxial (you dont need to use optical). Make sure the receiver is set to use all speakers. The STX needs to be setup for dolby digital live.

yang88she, you can use the yamaha or denon, use coaxial (you dont need to use optical). Make sure the receiver is set to use all speakers. The STX needs to be setup for dolby digital live.

when I set it to 6 channels, I get no sound, then it switches to "auto" to detect the digital signal, I get sound

w/ the asus software i only get the option of headphone, 2 speaker, FP headphone, and FP 2 Speaker

6 channel mode usually means 6 channel analog mode. Set the receiver to digital and keep it there.

Look in Page 19 of your STX manual to read about how to set dolby digital live.

Manual: http://support.asus.com/download/download.aspx?SLanguage=en-us

Keep in mind, most if not all of your music is going to be 2 channels (stereo). The STX or the receiver can spread it to all speakers though. For example the yamaha has an all channel or 5 channel stereo dsp setting where it'll have music from all speakers.

I'm confused.

One the picture with the PC, I see that the coaxial wire is plugged in.

In another picture on the denon, I see that the coaxial jack is empty and the optical is occupied. Are you using a converter of some sort or was it disconnected.

You aren't going to get any advantages using optical over coax.

I tried both and they both seem to be just outputting sound to just the front right and left regardless of analog of optical =(

I tried both and they both seem to be just outputting sound to just the front right and left regardless of analog of optical =(

Hang on. Did you turn on dolby digital live? Try a game with 5.1 surround. Also check the box with Dolby Pro Logic IIx so stereo upmixed to be surround.

How are you hooking it up?

It should be STX Coaxial output to Receiver coaxial input. How are you getting optical?

EDIT: Are you using the optical connection on your motherboard?

EDIT2: Nevermind, I forgot the STX has adapters for optical.

got everything figured out, my receiver was transmitting stereo, once I started randomly hitting buttons, I saw the option of 5.1 =D

all good

Thank 450, mlaine etc for all the help!

Back