Audio Engine A5 OR KRK Rokit Powered 5 Generation 2?

Joined
Sep 29, 2010
Messages
52
Guys, I have short-listed 2 studio monitors and very confused between them. I need this speaker for my Plasma Television. I will listen these speakers from about 8-10 feet distance. I need Deep, tight and punchy bass with vocals should be like the singer is singing standing next before me and very very smooth treble with zero sibilance.

By seeing all these my requirements which studio monitor is the way to go?

KRK Rokit Powered 5 Generation 2 is 75W RMS total

Audio Engine A5 is 90W RMS total

So Guys, suggest me now according to my preferences and listening distance.

An early reply is requested.

Thank you.:)
 
If you have any local pro audio stores, you might be able to listen to some KRK speakers. Good speakers can be with you for a long time, and it may be worth taking the time to try this.

As for the RMS power rating, I wouldn't give that too much consideration. One interesting note - the audio engines have one amplifier, which routes power to the other passive/unpowered speaker via speaker wire. Each KRK speaker has it's own built in amplifier.

If I were in your shoes and decided to buy without listening, I'd get the KRKs.
 
If you have any local pro audio stores, you might be able to listen to some KRK speakers. Good speakers can be with you for a long time, and it may be worth taking the time to try this.

As for the RMS power rating, I wouldn't give that too much consideration. One interesting note - the audio engines have one amplifier, which routes power to the other passive/unpowered speaker via speaker wire. Each KRK speaker has it's own built in amplifier.

If I were in your shoes and decided to buy without listening, I'd get the KRKs.


This is the only drawback that no local pro audio store in my city :(. I will listen to this speaker from about 6-8 feet minimum and my room is about small to medium size only
 
Guys, My room is 15x13 aka 195 square feet and I will sit approx 10 feet away from the speakers. So ur suggestions are welcome now
 
1) Why choose studio monitors for this application?
2) The A5s are not 'studio monitors'.
 
That's not a good reason to buy powered monitors for this application. Surely there is some place you can audition bookshelf or home theater speakers.
 
IIRC, the OP is in India. A/V shops are hard to find, and the equipment is generally prices much higher than in the US.
 
Yes, That I know this but could u plz respond me of my second last post?
Given my lack of experience with both products, I can't make a recommendation either way. My familiarity with KRK's products are with respect to the Expose and VXT-series monitors and I don't know much about the Rokits. It may be helpful to others, however, if you were to clarify why you've opted for studio monitors for an application that is typically addressed with passive speakers and a receiver (or, frequently, separate pre-amps and amps).
 
Given my lack of experience with both products, I can't make a recommendation either way. My familiarity with KRK's products are with respect to the Expose and VXT-series monitors and I don't know much about the Rokits. It may be helpful to others, however, if you were to clarify why you've opted for studio monitors for an application that is typically addressed with passive speakers and a receiver (or, frequently, separate pre-amps and amps).

Because as far as I know studio monitors are known for it's impressive sound quality without over-powering bass and detailed and extreme clarity that is why I m interested in studio monitors only and in india all the audio video equipments are minimum double the price of ur city and country.
 
Guys I have 12 year old 2.1 crappy speakers which is 980W PMPO and they sound pretty loud in my room so I think Rokit 5 or Rokit 6 will be enough for my room. What say guys?

reply fast guys coz I need to order soon and urgently
 
Yes. The 6 will give you plenty of sound and more bass than the 5. They are a very well made, durable, quality speaker.
 
If the OP choices still stand, definitely the KRK's. When I went speaker shopping I was totally unimpressed with Audioengine's products.
 
I have made this same topic on head-fi.org too and they all are suggesting me to get floorstanding speakers so now im thinking to get floorstanding. I am in a very dubious situation coz the main drawback is I can't audition them anywhere in my city. For auditioning different speakers, I need to go to different city in my country which u can think is next to impossible or difficult for me:(
 
I have made this same topic on head-fi.org too and they all are suggesting me to get floorstanding speakers so now im thinking to get floorstanding. I am in a very dubious situation coz the main drawback is I can't audition them anywhere in my city. For auditioning different speakers, I need to go to different city in my country which u can think is next to impossible or difficult for me:(

Link to the thread?

Are they aware that you're in India? Have any of them been to India?
 
Not sure if studio monitors are the best for sitting 6-8+ft away. I would think the A5 would be better for your purpose.
 
I have made this same topic on head-fi.org too and they all are suggesting me to get floorstanding speakers so now im thinking to get floorstanding.
Taking advice from Head-Fi posters is not something I'd usually recommend. That's just my opinion.

Honestly, I think you're worrying a bit too much about this decision. Both of the products you've narrowed it down to are solid, well-reviewed products. Pick one and go for it.
 
You will not get "deep, tight and punchy" bass from any 5" speakers. I've listened to RP5's and A5's (i owned A5 for a year) and i would suggest you to go for RP5. A5 were IMO shitty, as there were no bass, sounded like a freakin cellphone.
 
Back
Top