• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Audio Delay Using DDL/ DTS Connect

12andy

n00b
Joined
Jan 27, 2011
Messages
26
Hi,

Google-fu'd far and wide, and barely came up with any results for this.

I'm using the following connection:
X-fi XtremeMusic > coax digital out > Panasonic XR30 receiver

For music, DTS is much more pleasing to the ear (smoother highs, less aggresive mids). Games, on the other hand, exhibit a noticeable delay in output (tested in Quake Live, where the delay was noted within two seconds of gameplay).

The delay when using DDL is negligable, on the other hand. Not analogue-instantaneous, but bearable.

Tried looking through Creative processes to see if a service CPU-priority could be bumped up for giggles, but to no avail. I'm thinking this might have to do with the CPU having to deal with the higher bitrate conversion. It would be DAMN NICE to tweak the latency, though!

Thoughts? Anyone else experience something similar?
 
If you have any codec packs installed, uninstall them and check Quake again. When I first hooked up my computer via digital to the receiver, I noticed a split-second sound delay in videos and games. When I uninstalled the codec packs the delay went away. I assume all the extra software and codecs ended up encoding and decoding the sound so many times that the delay became noticeable. I know that a number of games are affected by extra sound codecs, since sometimes the computer forcibly encodes the game sound whether it needs to or not.

It would also be good to see if the delay is only in games, or videos (avi/mov/mkv) as well.
 
Last edited:
I've been avoiding codec packs, TBH (VLC, I love you).

Outta curiousity, you're running DDL/ DTS-C as well, right?

I can also feel the delay when snapping Winamp's volume control back and forth. Haven't done any major testing on video clips yet, though.
 
I WAS using DTS-C until a few days ago, when I switched to multichannel analog. I'm definitely preferring the analog, it sounds clearer and has more range. At least it does to ME. :)

Good that you have VLC, that program pretty much eliminates the need for codec packs. Lots of people are still using Windows Media Player (blech) so it's always worth asking about codecs.

I'm not really sure what else to suggest... since you were talking about processes and services, I assume you ended every service you possibly could that doesn't directly affect sound... and in the Windows sound properties, you've made sure your output devices "default format" is 16-bit, 48000 hz? Just for the sake of troubleshooting.

When did this problem start? What changed at that time?
 
Looks like your sound card > the JVC. :) In my case, the Panny XR30 doesn't even have analogue inputs to begin with; the XR series' strength lies when the signal is kept digital until the last mile, apparently. Less cables too (w00t!).

I actually like using WMP too, but mainly for streaming content (ahem, lol).

I didn't go through closing any services though, as I need all of them for daily use unfortunately. I DID try your sample-rate suggestion though, but it gave the same results.

I guess you can say that this problem was there since the beginning? I've only started using this setup for less than a week now; can't recall if there was any delay over PCM mode, but I'll do more tests tonight. Even if the delay does go away, it's not an option as surround gaming is a must. :p
 
Back
Top