Audio cutting out when listening to music

Zaltaer

n00b
Hi there,

When listening to music it cuts out very quickly (as if someone is pressing pause then play VERY fast) - making a static-like sound that lasts about a quarter of a second. This occurs about once every 5 seconds. I have tried listening to music from various sources like youtube and my personal mp3 collection but it still happens. The problem is more pronounced when using my Siberia v2 headphones likely due to the sound output being right next to my ears.

Now I should probably mention that I didn't notice this problem until I decided to try out my Siberia v2 usb sound card for the first time. I downloaded the drivers for it, let the automatic install complete, then restarted my computer. I then started paying attention to my audio to see if the 7.1 usb sound card was an improvement, which is when I noticed this problem.

It seems the logical thing to do would be uninstall the Sibera USB Sound Card drivers and test the sound again, but I am unsure how to do so since the download only came with a setup.exe.

PS. I have tried different setups of plugging headphones + speakers into my motherboard outbound sound and the headphones + speakers into the new USB Sound Card. The problem is much more pronounced when plugged into the USB sound card.

Any advice you could give would help alot!

Thank you

EDIT: Uninstalling the USB Sound Card program (and I assume the drivers were removed as well) changed nothing - problem still occurs

Check your DCP latency:

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

If it ever spikes into the red, you have a problem (likely driver) that is causing your system to not respond very fast occasionally and this will cause dropouts in real-time systems like audio.

If you find you have a DPC latency problem, try disabling devices one at a time in device manager until the spikes go away. Then try finding a new driver for that hardware or re-installing it.

Sorry for the late reply, I have checked my DPC latency before and yes it had huge red spikes (around 30,000 microseconds). What exactly am I looking to disable from the device manager? Just go in order from top to bottom and seeing if the DPC latency changes with certain things disabled?

Last edited:
I saw this earlier: http://www.resplendence.com/latencymon

It will list what it thinks is responsible for the spikes. Quite amazing how many DPCs occur per second.

For starters, that's what you can do. I've seen spikes associated with wireless, graphics cards (clocks changing), etc.

Thanks for the suggestion, ShinyFalcon. I used the program but unfortunately it isn't detecting any of the large DPC latency spikes that the DPCLatency program was. Latencymon is telling me that I shouldn't be experiencing audio dropouts, yet I am still.

You should be able to uninstall the program/driver from the add/remove programs menu in the control panel.

Okay so the dropout problem is definitely caused by the USB sound card - I can play music without audio dropouts when it is disconnected, although the sound quality is noticeably better with the card connected.

Does anyone have suggestions towards fixing the dropout problem while keeping the card installed? I will try installing the card software again to see if it helps.

Back