Audio card recommendation

AirPower4ever

Limp Gawd
Well, I have had enough of the EA audio issue that I have been experiencing so I am looking for a sound card. For the EA thing, I play BFBC2 or BF2142 and about 30 minutes in to the game my system completely freezes and the audio does this grrrr audio loop. Only way to get out is to hold power button till shut down. Seems like this problem has been going on, a lot in the forums but no answer how to fix, other than people are getting sound cards or b#$%ing about EA.

Currently I have the Asus P6T Deluxe v2 and have been using the on board audio to play games since I got the board years ago. Played these games just fine, this issue just started about 2-3 months ago for me and I am a patient guy, but enough is enough. I also watch movies (not a lot though) which are in DTS and Digital Dolby.

So I need a card that is primarily for gaming, but as a second job, process DTS and Digital Dolby to my speakers. What I mean by I don't watch that many movies is that once I have my movie in the my library, I'll use my computer watch maybe 5-10 minutes to see if things are good with the movie.

Interested to see what you guys recommend.

Are you sure its the audio card causing the issue? I've seen unpatched games and overclocking cause problems like this. I guess you could look at the asus sonar series or some of the creative stuff.

Well, I have not OC'd my system, still stock. As far as the unpatched I am up to date including punk buster.

From the readings it has something to do with EA and how they patched servers that is causing this issue with us clients logging in. Some say there was a disconnect between EA and Soundmax during the updating process. Then EA just released the patch to the servers and now a lot of people have the issue. I have already hit the wall with EA and Soundmax trying to talk to them, they just point the finger. But both of them do not answer the question.

Some have tried sfc /scannow, reinstalling drivers, reinstall O/S, remove and replace audio drivers and nothing seems to work. If it works, it only works for a short time and then it returns. And again, this was not a problem for more than 3 years, even with BF2142. The only thing that seems to work is to get a sound card. People who got sound cards do not have the issue (or the ones who already had them).

Asus Xonar, I'll look at those. I came here to see if [H] reviews had any and it seems like Kyle and the guys have not reviewed or tested any Asus cards. Matter of fact not many at all so I figured the [H]f would know. I read a couple of forum entries and it was split Asus was good or sucked. Same with Creative. I went looking in the HTPC area, but that has mostly cases and drives, not really audio cards.

Thanks I'll read up on Xonar series.

Any other recommendations from anyone else?

Last edited:
Back