Audio Card Decisions

djnes

Fully [H]
I am going to be redoing my system soon, and thinking about which of my sound cards to use. Give me some votes here. I have used all three, and found all three to be very good. I happen to like Creative's cards, so don't use the brand as a bias. I'm asking which is a better "gamer" card:

Creative Audigy 1
Creative Audigy LS
Hercules Fortissimo III

There is a Computer Audio section... You would probably get more responses there... The Audigy cards have always been the best in gaming, due to their awesome EAX (1,2,3,4) support. Other manufacturers support it, just not as well as Creative. I was using an Audigy1 for a long time, and loved it. I switched to a P4 system with HT, and the card didnt like it. I now have a Audigy2 ZS, and it hasn't crashed or given me any problems yet with HT enabled.

Audigy LS. My understanding is that it is a cut-down Audigy 2 or 2 ZS, which is much more than the original Audigy can say.

EAX support might not be a big deal to you. It isn't to me. Please clarify your gaming requirements in terms of which reverb/3D positioning algorithms you need support for.

Yeah, I have almost no understanding of the Audigy LS cards, other than they showed up on Newegg some time after the Audigy 2 came out, close to the time the 2 ZS was released. The first Audigy is a good card to this day, expecially for games, but if the LS has some newer tech on it well, there's my recommendation too. For gaming, there's Creative, and then there's everybody else.

--obligatory 'Damnit Nvidia, hurry the hell up!" statement relating to soundcards.

I think I've seen the ES more than the LS version, the differences between the two however... :confused:

I've heard that the Audigy LS is actually just a PCI version of the Audigy 2 NX, placing it closer to the Live in technology than the Audigy, and doesn't include many of the features that come with the EMU10kx chips. Of course, if you just want to play games on Windows they will probably both do fine. The LS however has terrible support for any operating systems other than Windows, though it seems to have newer drivers than the stock Audigy 1 ones for Windows.

Back