• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Audio Cables

icdragon

n00b
Joined
Apr 17, 2009
Messages
21
Is it worth getting some nice ones from bluejeanscable.com rather than monoprice? I am thinking of an spdif (optical or coax?), speaker wire, and subwoofer cable, all for short distances <10'. Any suggestions on which I should do from bluejeans if any? Thanks!

Sub optical and 20' of speaker comes out to $60 (20% of total system price!!) on bluejeans, whereas same with 50' comes out to $20 on monoprice.
20 feet of BJC "Twelve White" Speaker Cable $12.80 vs 50' $10
6 foot BJC LC-1 Subwoofer Cable $20.50 vs premium 2xrca $3
6 foot BJC Optical Digital Audio Cable $16.25 vs basic optical $3
 
Last edited:
The only place I'd spend money on "premium" cabling is on unbalanced line level interconnects. If you have unbalanced analog connections you need to make, I actually do recommend higher-than-bottom-rung quality cabling (Blue Jeans fits the bill nicely). Otherwise, stick with Monoprice. Cables for the LFE are the exception: don't worry about premium interconnects for LFE connections.

With speaker cable, the only real factor you need to concern yourself is gauge. If you have a long run, use a lower gauge (thicker) cable. Else, use standard 14 or 16 AWG "lamp cord". If you need to run cable in walls, then by all means buy cable designed for in-wall installation.

With S/PDIF, don't concern yourself about buying premium cables.
 
I just wanted to say, I've had a optical cable from monoprice for half a year, and it still works perfect with my PS3. I can't say anything about quality because I haven't use any other brand, but I can say they are definitely durable, if that even concerns you.
 
The first should be just fine. If you feel more comfortable with the second, then go with that. The third option is extraneous for the LFE connection.
 
Back
Top