• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Audio build (special case build for live performance)

Corban227

Gawd
2FA
Joined
Dec 2, 2009
Messages
956
Hey, guys, I have a unique situation I am looking to do a build for. Before I answer the standard questions, I want to explain the situation and the cases this build will be used for so that you understand. Build updated below

This build is going to be used to run audio samples for 2 to 3 Yamaha weighted 88 key keyboards. The full layout of the system is as follows:
  • Keyboard to Computer
  • Computer system interacts with keyboard through midi input
  • Output from computer to amp system

We will be using a basic sample program to pull samples from (some examples include Logic pro, main stage, reason, garage band, etc).

Traditional setups of this type use a mac book pro and one of the following programs listed above. All keyboards are run through the mac and then out to the amp system. Mainstage (being the best) allows you to assign each instrument it's own bank for live performance.

My goal is to build a cheap tower build, that can be transported over rough terrain, and plugged into a touch screen monitor to run one of these programs for the cheapest price possible.


1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Live performance sampling of instruments
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
going for as cheap as possible. aiming for the build to be 500 total
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
I live within driving distance of a micro center, and new eggs will call warehouse
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
mobo processor, ram, SSD, case, powersupply and backup battery, windows 10, touch screen monitor
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
none
6) Will you be overclocking?
no
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
doesn't matter. going for cheap cost
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
asap
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
nothing in particular. just need 3 to 4 USB minimum. If price allows, it would be nice to have some sort of local wireless access via a phone or tablet
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
no


I hope you guys can help with this. I really need a reliable system that can be transported over all types of terrain, for cheap, that can handle this system.
 
Last edited:
I'm not going to be much help, but so others can help, some key questions:

0) are you looking for a hackintosh, or are you going to run an different os?
a) what kind of cpu and ram do you need to run this?
b) how are you planning to get MIDI into the pc (pci, pci-e, usb?)
c) how are you planning to get audio out of the pc?
 
Go 19" rack mount and whack it in a small rack flight case with detachable ends. Can be biffed in a car/truck/van with rest of your gear. Or things put on top, while packed or in use. Travelling and touring/packing/unloading is where your most wear/tear is. We use similar setup for high end laser projector control systems.
 
Do you have a link for an example? I'm not entirely sure what you mean

Also I would really appreciate it if someone could price out a build for me just so I have an idea
 
I'm not going to be much help, but so others can help, some key questions:

0) are you looking for a hackintosh, or are you going to run an different os?
a) what kind of cpu and ram do you need to run this?
b) how are you planning to get MIDI into the pc (pci, pci-e, usb?)
c) how are you planning to get audio out of the pc?

0) I wouldn't be opposed to trying a hackintosh/dual boot windows and hackintosh
A) minimal. 4 gigs should work
B) midi to USB
C) basic audio out. I.e. 3.5 audio jack.
 
had some time to do some poking around tonight. do you think I could mount the mobo and ps to a slide rack (open air essentially) and then put that rack shelf into a portable rack case? It wouldnt be a clean build persa
 
Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
http://www.roadcasesusa.com/rack-cases-and-rack-mixer-cases/

Get an 18"+ deep rack there that will fit your computer case. The one you chose looks good. Just PSU I'd check that brand out for reviews and measurements, never want to go too cheap on them. Cheap seasonic would be a safer bet. But double check everything fits in 2U. Maybe go slightly bigger component case if you can.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top