audio amp question

phiber

Limp Gawd
I did not see a home audio section so I guess I can ask this question here. I was wondering, I took a speaker building class in my highschool and build speakers in it. Now I am having a tough time buying a reciever for these speakers because I don't know how many watts they take. The speakers contain a woofer and a tweeter and the specs can be found here. So anybody who can read those spec sheets and let me know how many watts RMS they can take I would appreciate it. I would also like to know what you think of the speaker components.

Thanks in advance.

I've never seen nor heard of those speakers before, but that link has the ratings right underneath the pictures.

6VE3251B is "up to 100 watts" I've always seen the max as double the RMS, so one would guess its continuous rating would be 50 watts.

TPCBJM is listed as "nominal 15 watt" and "125 watt with 12 dB 2500 Hz crossover". Without a crossover unit, this will take 15 watts RMS, double that for peak, however if you use a 12 dB crossover and limit everything below 2500Hz it can take a max of 125 watts, which would put its RMS rating at 62.5 watts. Considering the size and design, If I used those I would never run it anywhere close to 125 watts, and even with a crossover would be hesitant to give it more than 40 watts, which would be more than enough anyway... Keep in mind that tweeters are there to accentuate the higher range frequencies, and should not drown out the other sound. If you feel that 15 watts just isn't enough for you, it wouldn't be too hard to install a potentiometer between the amp and the speaker and apply 30 watts, then you would have a tweeter specific volume control dial which could be easily mounted wherever you wanted on the enclosure.

As to the quality of the components used in the creation of the speakers, rubber surround and dust cap for the 6VE3251B are ok, not the greatest, but considering the power handling ratings it won't have a problem. After a few years it will degrade (as does all rubber) so conditioning the rubber once every 6 months or so would prevent cracking. The new high-end Rockford Fosgate component series speakers use conex spiders, so I would guess that they're probably a quality piece.

As for the TPCBJM, single piece dome and surround is normal, and titanium domes are widely used by companies who make quality components, whether its standard position or inverted.

Link to a high end Rockford Fosgate Component Series set that shows examples of the spider and dome. http://www.cardomain.com/item/ROCX152S

Your biggest problem is going to be the aluminum bobbin. After searching for about an hour, the only people who I could find that use aluminum bobbins are companies that I've never heard of. Companies known for their low cost speakers, like Clarion, use kapton bobbins, and the brand name that you would buy for stuff that is going to sound decent and last more than a few months use glass-imide bobbins, such as Pioneer, Alpine, and Rockford Fosgate. If you can replace this it will ensure that you have a quality piece that should last a while.

Hope this helps, and thankfully I was bored and had plenty of spare time to do this research for you.

Thank you very much, this was very helpful. So I guess I should purchase an amp that has around 100watts since I do have a 12db crossover in the box. Any reccomendations to recievers?

Finding a receiver that will output around 100 watts isn't hard, there isn't a need to have separrate components when a single unit will do, at least, not in this case. Receivers I don't know a whole lot about, I have had a few over the years, Technics, Peavy, Optimus, Kenwood... do a little research on the units, check prices around town and online, and purchase with confidence.

JM Lab makes some very nice speakers and I have heard quite a few nice pairs in person and been impressed. Any reciever should do though try to stay away from anything too cheap, Denon, Harmon Kardon, Onkyo and some of the higher end Pioneer, Sony and Yamaha units are nice.

Back