• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Audigy2 ZS + Optical Cable is there a diff?

KraXed112

Weaksauce
Joined
Jul 24, 2004
Messages
114
I've had a Audigy2 with the logitech Z-680's using the regular analog cables.

But i just bought a Monster Optical Cable, and i was just wondering if there is a noticible diffrence in sound.. all i do is play music and movies, and gaming.. nothing extreme
I wanna know b4 i open the package i guess.. dont like dealing with restock fee's

So the quesiton is there a diffrence between the 3 analog cables vs the 1 optical cable for sound?

Thanx
 
Were do you plan to connect a optical cable to on a plain Audigy 2?

Anyhow the answer to the question is the analog cables.
 
are you using the analog cables for 5.1 or 6.1 sound? As in 6 or 7 separate cables running to input on your stereo? Optical usually gives you only 2 channel sound- but optical cables never transmit hum to your subs. :)
 
the main answer is that there is no way to connect an optical cable to an Audigy 2zs.
 
FastBu said:
the main answer is that there is no way to connect an optical cable to an Audigy 2zs.
:confused: ??what?? look here or,
My Mother board came with S/PDIF part that screws into a slot in the back of case and then plug wire into Sound card done and works perfect, I have the z 5500 in pure digital that run EAX,THX etc. PERFECT
 
Tazzman said:
:confused: ??what?? look here or,
My Mother board came with S/PDIF part that screws into a slot in the back of case and then plug wire into Sound card done and works perfect, I have the z 5500 in pure digital that run EAX,THX etc. PERFECT

Compatible Sound Blaster® Cards

Sound Blaster® Live!
Sound Blaster® Live! Value
Sound Blaster® Live! Platinum, Sound Blaster® Live! Platinum 5.1
Sound Blaster® Live! MP3+, Sound Blaster® Live! MP3+ 5.1
Sound Blaster® Live! X-Gamer, Sound Blaster® Live! X-Gamer 5.1
Sound Blaster® Audigy MP3+
Sound Blaster® Audigy Gamer
 
HybridHB said:
Read his sig, hes got the platinum.
Had the Platnum, Sold it, The ZS and platnum have the same card only diff is the Front panel. I now use as i posted above for digial.
 
Digital is crap. It has to use special encoding for a special digital reciever which very few apps/games support. I hope you like only hearing 2 speakers or playing DVDs, cause that's what you're going to get using the digital out. Analog has no quality loss in this situation and is worlds better.
 
:p So When I play DVDs in my system useing the digital THX, DTS or Dolby in Surround sound, I am not getting true 5.1? :D Please.... I invite you to have a seat in my garage and hear Complete 5.1 surround in Digital format. My garage sounds better than Most peoples home systems. :D
Do you own a SB ZS 2? and Z 5500 "Digital's"

Stop by the next time you are in Oceanside CA. Bring your fav DVD and we can drink a few cold ones. While watching and listening. You will be amazed.

As for games that dont support 5.1, Well thats what the Z 5500 console is for , re setting to stereo, stereo x 2 etc. Tell me how digital is bad playing games? You just re set the speakers as needed. Just like you can do with the analog settings.

The card
29-102-162-02.jpg

and the Plug
Picture010.jpg



Tazzman :D
 
Tazzman said:
As for games that dont support 5.1, Well thats what the Z 5500 console is for , re setting to stereo, stereo x 2 etc. Tell me how digital is bad playing games? You just re set the speakers as needed. Just like you can do with the analog settings.
The Z5500 console has options to upmix 2 channel sound. So no, if you use digital out with optical or coaxial cables from any Creative card currently out, you aren't getting proper 5.1 in games. It'll just be stereo upmixed to surround by Pro Logic 2.
 
lazybum131 said:
The Z5500 console has options to upmix 2 channel sound. So no, if you use digital out with optical or coaxial cables from any Creative card currently out, you aren't getting proper 5.1 in games. It'll just be stereo upmixed to surround by Pro Logic 2.

That's how I understand it as well, games don't go out digital out. I opted for the 3mini's to 7.1, that's 2x 1 to 3 and 1x 1 to 2 channel cables. I haven't set everything up yet but after some research it sounded like that's the only way to go to potentially get 7.1 for everything.
 
Tazzman said:
Had the Platnum, Sold it, The ZS and platnum have the same card only diff is the Front panel. I now use as i posted above for digial.
i was talking about the original poster.
 
KraXed112 said:
I've had a Audigy2 with the logitech Z-680's using the regular analog cables.

But i just bought a Monster Optical Cable, and i was just wondering if there is a noticible diffrence in sound.. all i do is play music and movies, and gaming.. nothing extreme
I wanna know b4 i open the package i guess.. dont like dealing with restock fee's

So the quesiton is there a diffrence between the 3 analog cables vs the 1 optical cable for sound?

Thanx


Ok here's what you do, take the monster cable back, get a different non-monster optical cable for 30-50% less, and eat the profits while enjoying pure digital sound. :p

It's great for movies, or anything with encoded 5.1/7.1 sound. Games, well, you won't get surround sound in games over the optical. But, if you already have an external dolby digital/dts/thx/etc decoder (usually built into a surround sound receiver), then I'd use the above advice and get yourself a cheaper cable. More $$$ for cables != better sound.
 
jeepthing said:
Tazzman...Where did you get that plug?
Came with My Mother boards. Gigabyte's, I think its standard with Most of there Boards If the board supports it. I bet you could make one, By going to radio shack or something like it and Buy a Spdif and Pig tail, And Mod it to one of the Plates. And plug it into the Sound card as shown in picture
 
Heres my only problem...I have a Audigy 2 ZS and im currently getting ready to purchase the logitech's z5500's....Will i be able to get them digital besides the analog? :rolleyes:
 
Back
Top