• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Audigy.. Why?

bobbydole

Limp Gawd
Joined
Dec 1, 2004
Messages
354
My gf's brother is building a new PC, as he was telling me the MB he was thinking of picking out he pointed out that it had the Audigy card buildt in so it was saving him money. I normally just use my integrated sound card, I don't think i've gotten a seperate sound card in a long time. But I was wondering, why should I buy an audigy, or some other PCI sound card? Better sound? is it less work for the CPU? I guess I'm just not sure of the benefit.
 
Separate sound cards usually means less processing for the CPU, since the sound card itself has its own hardware processors. Also, Audigys are the only cards that support EAX past...version 2 I think? So if you want EAX 3/4, you need the Audigy.

I didn't know Audigys came integrated onto motherboards, by the way.
 
Creative, besides all their other problems, usually have the best gaming performance, ability to offload audio tasks from the cpu to the audio board. The soundquality is also typically much higher than some lousy realtek audio or something.
 
Thanks for the quick replies!
I don't play many games any more and I'm not that big of an audiophile (and my htpc is using optical-out), so I guess I'll just stick with my on-board.

BillLeeLee said:
Separate sound cards usually means less processing for the CPU, since the sound card itself has its own hardware processors. Also, Audigys are the only cards that support EAX past...version 2 I think? So if you want EAX 3/4, you need the Audigy.

I didn't know Audigys came integrated onto motherboards, by the way.

He was looking at getting this motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16813130037
 
If your using optical output, your sending the digital signals to you receiver to do the processing. That is fine for onboard audio to handle. I doubt it even uses much cpu. I'm not sure what pre processing is still done when using the optical interface.

That's an nForce board...strange I would expect that it had SoundStorm, which though I have no experience because I'm an intel whore, I've heard it's pretty good for soundquality and taking stress off the cpu.
 
Back
Top