So I've got me an Audigy4pro installed and running now, replacing the Audigy2 platinum I've had since early '03.
I'm listening to music (which was the aspect of the A2 that pissed me off enough to shell out for the A4) through my Senn HD280pros and I can safely say that the A4 kicks the A2 square in the nuts and goes home with it's girlfriend when it comes to crispness and definition.
The only technical difference between the A4 and it's predecessor is an upgrade to it's DACs, which have been switched to the ones that are used in some of the EMU pro cards.
I was afraid that that wouldn't be enough to result real-world audible difference, but I'm happy and somewhat relieved to say that there is, and it's definately for the better.
I don't have any cards other than the A2 to compare against, so I can't say whether it's as good as a Revo or whatever, but this is pretty damn good.
Unfortunately there are downsides, The biggy is the price, I wouldn't be comfortable recommending that anyone goes out and spends that kind of cash for what is not really a massive improvement if they already have an A2/zs.
The other slight annoyance is that I can't seem to find CTPANEL, so I've had to install the various fancy creative control panels, which is a downer.
I'm listening to music (which was the aspect of the A2 that pissed me off enough to shell out for the A4) through my Senn HD280pros and I can safely say that the A4 kicks the A2 square in the nuts and goes home with it's girlfriend when it comes to crispness and definition.
The only technical difference between the A4 and it's predecessor is an upgrade to it's DACs, which have been switched to the ones that are used in some of the EMU pro cards.
I was afraid that that wouldn't be enough to result real-world audible difference, but I'm happy and somewhat relieved to say that there is, and it's definately for the better.
I don't have any cards other than the A2 to compare against, so I can't say whether it's as good as a Revo or whatever, but this is pretty damn good.
Unfortunately there are downsides, The biggy is the price, I wouldn't be comfortable recommending that anyone goes out and spends that kind of cash for what is not really a massive improvement if they already have an A2/zs.
The other slight annoyance is that I can't seem to find CTPANEL, so I've had to install the various fancy creative control panels, which is a downer.