• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Audigy 2 ZS worth getting?

thevelourfog

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Apr 6, 2005
Messages
1,132
I'm getting a DFI nForce 4 board with Karajan Audio. I'm planning on using the S/PDIF connection to hook up to my ProMedia Ultra 5.1 and DD-5.1 preamp.

Will I notice a difference in quality or performance (with games) by getting a Audigy 2 ZS rather than use the built in nForce audio?
 
you will hear a difference when compared to the onboard audio. how much of a difference? i don't know, that's up to your ears to tell u. is it worth the money? well if u've got cash to burn then sure get it. you'll get an increase in game performance. how noticeable will it be? i can't really say. it depends on which game ur running and the specs of ur comp. for me, i couldn't really notice much of a performance boost. but my games do sound nicer. so yeah, up to you to decide
 
well..for me, my realtek ac97 vs my soundblaster audigy 2 zs..it is like night and day in music....and in games, it's like the sun and the moon hehehe
 
i used to have the Audigy 2, and now I have the M-audio revo 7.1. I've also had the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. And I can tell you that the Revo and TBSC leave the Audigy 2 in the dust when it comes to music playback quality.
 
thevelourfog said:
I'm getting a DFI nForce 4 board with Karajan Audio. I'm planning on using the S/PDIF connection to hook up to my ProMedia Ultra 5.1 and DD-5.1 preamp.

Will I notice a difference in quality or performance (with games) by getting a Audigy 2 ZS rather than use the built in nForce audio?

I think everyone else failed to notice that you're using the digital output. Since you're just going straight to the DD-5.1 amp, all the decoding will be done by that, not the soundcard. So it really doesn't matter which card you get, as the sound will be decoded by the Klipsch device.

Now if you would like the option for better gaming surround support, then get the Audigy 2 ZS, but be prepared to connect that through analog. If gaming is not your thing, then save the money and stick with the nforce4 sound. Too bad they didn't include Soundstorm, that would have made the decision much easier.
 
tenken said:
I think everyone else failed to notice that you're using the digital output. Since you're just going straight to the DD-5.1 amp, all the decoding will be done by that, not the soundcard. So it really doesn't matter which card you get, as the sound will be decoded by the Klipsch device.

Now if you would like the option for better gaming surround support, then get the Audigy 2 ZS, but be prepared to connect that through analog. If gaming is not your thing, then save the money and stick with the nforce4 sound. Too bad they didn't include Soundstorm, that would have made the decision much easier.

thanks for pointing that out, i'm disapointed that my nforce2 im currently using has soundstorm, but a new nforce4 system doesn't. I'll prolly pick up a audigy to mess around with later, but i guess its not a big deal.

i do like the digital connection more than analog because it's only 1 cable, so i may just stick to that. thanks for the help!
 
I used SoundStorm for a while with my nForce 2 board and various problems with games really got on my nerves. Picked up an Audigy 2ZS and never looked back.
 
elvito1981 said:
i used to have the Audigy 2, and now I have the M-audio revo 7.1. I've also had the Turtle Beach Santa Cruz. And I can tell you that the Revo and TBSC leave the Audigy 2 in the dust when it comes to music playback quality.

hey elvito would you take the turtle beach over the m-audio then or vice versa. i'm considering those 3 cards too but not sure which one to get. don't plan on spending too much either (40-50). i'm going to be using it mostly for games and movies and i have a 5.1 speaker setup.
 
thevelourfog said:
thanks for pointing that out, i'm disapointed that my nforce2 im currently using has soundstorm, but a new nforce4 system doesn't. I'll prolly pick up a audigy to mess around with later, but i guess its not a big deal.

i do like the digital connection more than analog because it's only 1 cable, so i may just stick to that. thanks for the help!

Since you are invested in a digital rig, you could wait for the DD encoding soundcard that is on its way "soon".

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=849986
 
Back
Top