Audigy 2 ZS drivers not installing

Sou| Colossus

Weaksauce
Joined
Jun 30, 2003
Messages
105
Heh, sorry if this has been asked before; I did a quick search and didn't find anything about it.

I just got an OEM Audigy 2 ZS. When I installed it, naturally Windows detected it as something generic like Multimedia Audio Device as there are no drivers for it. The card didn't come with a CD so I went to Creative.com's driver page for my card to get the latest drivers. They have two things to try: the beta and non-beta. The non-beta drivers has "update" in the title which is confusing. I was thinking that it was only a patch for a previous driver release, but it's the closest thing I see there to a full driver package. The only alternative would have been the betas.

So I download and run the setup for the non-beta drivers:

Setup could not detect any Sound Blaster Audigy 2 on your system. Please ensure that your sound blaster hardware is properly installed blah blah blah.

So, I tried the beta drivers. Same thing. The only thing I could think of next was to use WinRAR to extract their compressed driver package and direct windows to the drivers manually and install them that way. Well, it worked and now Windows has detected the card as Creative Audigy Audio Processor. I somehow doubt that this is what it's supposed to look like when the drivers are properly installed, but it plays sound now. As of now, I only have 3.1 speakers so I can't test out all it's functionality, but it's pretty barebones and I don't think I'd get all the bells and whistles working right unless I got all of Creative's together.

So, how the hell do I get my drivers correctly installed? I've emailed Creative about this, but I thought I'd ask here as well.
 
Sou| Colossus said:
Heh, sorry if this has been asked before; I did a quick search and didn't find anything about it.

I just got an OEM Audigy 2 ZS. When I installed it, naturally Windows detected it as something generic like Multimedia Audio Device as there are no drivers for it. The card didn't come with a CD so I went to Creative.com's driver page for my card to get the latest drivers. They have two things to try: the beta and non-beta. The non-beta drivers has "update" in the title which is confusing. I was thinking that it was only a patch for a previous driver release, but it's the closest thing I see there to a full driver package. The only alternative would have been the betas.

So I download and run the setup for the non-beta drivers:

Setup could not detect any Sound Blaster Audigy 2 on your system. Please ensure that your sound blaster hardware is properly installed blah blah blah.

So, I tried the beta drivers. Same thing. The only thing I could think of next was to use WinRAR to extract their compressed driver package and direct windows to the drivers manually and install them that way. Well, it worked and now Windows has detected the card as Creative Audigy Audio Processor. I somehow doubt that this is what it's supposed to look like when the drivers are properly installed, but it plays sound now. As of now, I only have 3.1 speakers so I can't test out all it's functionality, but it's pretty barebones and I don't think I'd get all the bells and whistles working right unless I got all of Creative's together.

So, how the hell do I get my drivers correctly installed? I've emailed Creative about this, but I thought I'd ask here as well.
You are correct, they are merely updates. You need to install the first driver on the creative page, then update with only the next patch and so on and so forth (meaning you can't install the base drivers then the newest nonbeta drivers, you have to update them in order). So basically you need to install like five drivers to have the most recent drivers. Or you can use the beta drivers (which are the complete drivers, not update). I highly recomend the beta drivers (which I am currently using), not only will it save you a lot of time installing , but they also removed my stuttering and "memory cannot be read" errors in Half-Life 2. Best of luck!
 
i have the installation disc for my audigy 2 zs platinum but i believe you can also use it for the regular audigy 2 zs. if you want, i can make an ISO of it and send it to you via msn messenger or mirc.
 
Moofasa~ said:
Or you can use the beta drivers (which are the complete drivers, not update).

The beta drivers give me the same error, and I found nothing on their driver page that looked like an original driver.
 
siegecraft4 said:
Boot in safe mode. Run Driver Cleaner. Remove the Creative driver remnants. Remove any audio devices in Hardware Manager. Then reboot. Prevent windows from installing any default drivers. Then try reinstalling the creative drivers.

edit: Link to complete Creative driver package: http://www.softwarepatch.com/utilities/audigyzs.html

Doesn't work, same error message with both drivers you linked and the betas.

It was no different than when I had initially put the card in the system. It was recognized by windows as a Multimedia Audio Device with no drivers for it and the Creative setup program didn't see any Audigy2. I tried one thing differently, though. I went into the \drivers folder of the driver package and there was a setup program in there to install the WDM drivers. I ran that, and now the card is installed the same was as when I pointed device manager to the drivers manually. Sound works and sounds great and all, but it's just called Creative Audigy Audio Processor. There's no software bells 'n' wistles, no way to configure anything had I even had a >3.1 system.
 
Hmmmm sounds more like a hardware problem then a driver problem. Have you tried putting the sound card in a different pci slot (also make sure it's all the way in). The beta drivers are the complete drivers and not an update so that's not the problem. I think windows is having a problem recognizing the Audigy 2 ZS. Best of luck.
 
Have you tried removing the card booting the system without it and then reinstalling it in another slot?
 
It's not a hardware problem.....

The EAX4DRV_AUDIGY2_1_84_50.exe installs fine, but the update (the .55-R1's) refuse to install, either over the v50's or fresh.

I fucking hate creative....
 
i too have an audigy 2 and have the same damn problem you are having.i cant understand why it wont detect my card either.if you have any luck,please let me know,im dieing to update my drivers!
 
Back
Top