Audigy 2 ZS alternative drivers

mmooney86

n00b
I've read online about alternative drivers for the A2ZS. If you know of any or have feelings on them could you please post. I specificly am looking for drivers that will deliver bass to both the front channels and the sub... But want to know about all alternative driver sets

http://www.kxproject.com/

I specificly am looking for drivers that will deliver bass to both the front channels and the sub

Explain please.
The reason I ask is cause all 2.1 multimedia speakers (that I can think of) have their own internal bass management ... the sound card wont change that or how it works.

The whole front channel thing leads me to believe we are talking about a multichannel system and my answer to that is the KX drivers won't fix the problem. ;)
Lowering the crossover frequency will help you get more bass out of the front speakers but there is no fix for the subwoofer issue that I know of.

Mister X said:
Lowering the crossover frequency will help you get more bass out of the front speakers but there is no fix for the subwoofer issue that I know of.

You are referring to the fact that the Audigy series has a problem with sub output, correct? In other words, I won't get bass from my sub unless I enable bass redirection (which sucks :rolleyes: ) in the Creative software.

Correct.
I should merge the two threads cause this is an effort to solve the problem in another thread.
And I agree, bass rederiction blows.
Just gimme a true LFE channel and let me receiver do the rest. :rolleyes:

mmooney86 said:
mmooney86 asked:
I specificly am looking for drivers that will deliver bass to both the front channels and the sub... But want to know about all alternative driver sets

Just FYI, WinDVD has an option to send LFE (subwoofer channel) information to your surround speakers or headphones. I don't recommend it tho, it will likely overwhelm the speaker's driver and create muddy sound, unless the speaker is truly full-range. Most computer speakers are really only designed for sound down to 50hz or so, even if they are spec'd for lower. Why do you think they make the subwoofer separate? it's b/c smallish speakers with midrange drivers can't handle all that bass well.

ajm786 said:
You are referring to the fact that the Audigy series has a problem with sub output, correct? In other words, I won't get bass from my sub unless I enable bass redirection (which sucks :rolleyes: ) in the Creative software.

What "problem" are you referring to? Do you just mean that you have to enable bass boost in order to change the crossover frequency? I feel like the crossover frequency on my creative 5.1 setup and audigy card is just fine, and the bass extension is what i would expect for their price.

what am i not aware of here?

MadSkills said:
What "problem" are you referring to? Do you just mean that you have to enable bass boost in order to change the crossover frequency? I feel like the crossover frequency on my creative 5.1 setup and audigy card is just fine, and the bass extension is what i would expect for their price.

what am i not aware of here?

The problem that you are not aware of is that the Audigy family of sound cards do NOT ouput a true LFE channel. It only does so in DVD playback, because it's instructed to by the LFE channel on whatever DVD is being played. If you have a Creative speaker system, you will never have this issue, because the LFE is being handled by the speakers and NOT the sound card.

As soon as you hook up a true multi-channel enabled HT receiver, such as my Onkyo TX-SR500, you will find, much to your disappointment, that you get no sub output. The only way to get the sub output is to enable bass redirection in the Creative software. This implementation will get you sub output, but the sound will always be subpar. I found this out the hard way.

Thank you, AJM, i was not aware of that.

Two questions:

1.) When you say there is no LFE channel, does that mean that there is no low-frequency information at all? If there is, wouldn't your receiver's crossover settings route the sub info properly?

2.) Are there other products that do not have this limitation with their digital outs?

Quick question: If your receiver has the option, why not use it to do the bass management? I know that that adds another level of A-D-A conversion, but it might be better. I actually need to look up whether my SR8200 can do this on the 7.1 input.. but I think it might be source direct, all the time [:(]

Either way, I have to reinstall the drivers for my sound cards... now that I've got the Emu drivers in, I can't access the Creative control panels [but only some, go figure] Fun times, trying to get those two cards to cooperate, at least I'm not BSODing anymore.

for everyone here who doesnt understand this... The sub gets no audio if you do not cross over (remove) the bass fromt he front channels... meaning i either get the bass in the front speakers or the sub but not both..... THAT SUCKS when you have a massive sub and massive speakers which goto 26HZ at 125Watts

What speakers, and what SPL can you get out of them at 26hz? They might be linear down to 26hz at one watt, but I'm betting that unless you are using PA's, or something with dual 7" drivers you'll probably be hitting mechanical limitations on the driver. Grab an SPL meter and check it out with some test tones... foobar can generate sweeps, do a 30sec sweep from 100-20 hz and watch the meter.. or just measure the response at 26hz and compare that to the response at 100hz and 500hz.

MadSkills said:
Thank you, AJM, i was not aware of that.

Two questions:

1.) When you say there is no LFE channel, does that mean that there is no low-frequency information at all? If there is, wouldn't your receiver's crossover settings route the sub info properly?

2.) Are there other products that do not have this limitation with their digital outs?

Please go here for a start?

http://www.3dsoundsurge.com/features/articles/CenterandLFE/CenterandLFE-p3.html

Even they made a minor mistake, LFE stand for Low Frequency Effects, not Channel. These effects are discrete but can be sent in many ways to the Sub. 2.1 problems WOW, even my old Reveal 2.1s kicked out bass! Set to 2.1 and the LFE is to the first Jack, set it to 4.1 it's sent to the 2nd and set to 5.1, it goes to the 3rd jack.

5.1 satellite speakers still have plenty of bass and my Sub only turned up half way, old cheap KLH, geesh!

Donnie

Polk audio RTI8s.... ok for the sound engineers.... small front port extended length with an over the top channel with the large rear port with a total length of channel equiv to 1/4 the true wave length of at 22Hz wave form.... This results in a horn loaded style response curve which is very flat... THe front port is pushed by two 6.5" drivers. The extended port is what gives them the bump in the low end. Also the speakers are placed 1000Hz cancelation apart to cancel the 1Khz cross over bump resulting in a linear response curve. Hence rolling off the bass leaves them sounding muttled because its not an expotential roll off like a normal speaker.. so cant roll them off and there for accourding to creative I cant have a sub wooferr....

Wow! I never knew about these drivers, and they are amazing! If you have a Creative sound card, get these right now. I can't get over how much better my music sounds.

Back