• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Audigy 2 OEM or Chaintech AV-710?

Adango

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 23, 2003
Messages
83
Deeply sorry for bringing up this debated subject, but I did a forum search and I didn't find the answer I was looking for.

I have to make a choice by the end of tonight. Both sound cards are exactly the same price up here in Canada, so price isn't the factor.

It's either the Creative Audigy 2 OEM with no firewire or coaxial out

or

The Chaintech AV-710 with optical out

I will be primarily listening to lots of music and doing lots of gaming with this card. They will both hopefully be hooked up to some Sennheiser HD-497 headphones.

I am worried about the CPU usage hit that I might get on my AMD64 3000+ with the Chaintech. I'm also worried about Creative's supposedly horrible drivers.

Please help! Thank you.

90% of the time I will be listening through the Logitech Z560s.
 
Audigy. The Chaintech is really only recommended for 2-channel listening, and the Audigy will certainly beat it for gaming audio.
 
GodsMadClown said:
Audigy. The Chaintech is really only recommended for 2-channel listening, and the Audigy will certainly beat it for gaming audio.

I just researched the product code, and it looks as though the Audigy is a "Value" edition; does that make a difference?

Has Creative improved upon their drivers?
 
The AV-710 offers excellent bang/buck on two-channel listening when routed through channels 7&8. Unfortunately, channels 1-6 are quite lackluster.
 
Back
Top