• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Audible hiss dta-100a

kschaffner

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Jan 2, 2006
Messages
1,099
Hello everyone, I recently picked up a Dayton Audio DTA-100A amp and when I have my headphones plugged in I have a audible hiss kinda like a constant shhh. It is there regardless of volume and regardless if I have it plugged into my computer or not. Any insight? Is there a different amp I should look at and return this one? I have 2 bookshelves and headphones. If I put my ear up to the tweeter in the bookshelves I can hear the hiss there as well.

Edit: What if I went with something like the nuforce Icon udac-2 and then just plugged my headphones into that when I wanted to use them and still use the dayton amp for my bookshelves?
 
Last edited:
Yeah if it has that sound in the headphone jack, there is something wrong with it. I would get a receiver but that is just me.

Edit: Just saw the specs. Probably want a dedicated headphone amp. That Nuforce is a fine choice.
 
Last edited:
Well, T-amps generally have relatively high levels of baseline noise. My DTA-1 has slight levels of noise through the B652 bookshelf speakers (when putting my ear up to the tweeter, as you did) - and with high sensitivity headphones (using a female TRS to speaker wire adapter) it's so loud that listening is impossible.

I don't know exactly why you're getting problematic noise from the headphone amp - the DTA-100a uses a separate op-amp chip for the headphone amp. The noise from the speakers is to be expected, however.

Personally, I found the noise level of my DTA-1 to not be a problem with speakers. It's never audible at normal distances or with music playing.

I'd say that if you need a headphone amp, get a dedicated one.

What headphones are you using? The uDAC 2 may be suitable, and its auto-power for the RCA jacks is handy if you're using headphones and speakers.
 
The headphones that I have right now are Icemat (Steelseries) Siberias. I may look into getting the nuforce the only problem I kinda had with going that route was losing my X-Fi but I really don't use any of the features except for the xmss 3d surround. Thanks for all the info :p
 
What about a Fiio E9? It's got line level input and output (i.e. pass-through), volume controlled pre-out, and a superb headphone amp, for the same price as the uDAC 2 (which definitely has an inferior headphone amp). Or, you could get the E7/E9 combo for a bit more, if you'd find the E7 useful.

You'd be set amp-wise for essentially every headphone out there with the E9.
 
Seems like that would play well with my dta-100a as well and I could keep the x-fi even though it isn't an amazing sound card.
 
Back
Top