ATX case compatible with BTX?

I have just recently, about 2 weeks ago, bought a Lian Li PC-61. Well, considering the new BTX motherboards that are coming out, will i be able to use this ATX case with the new BTX motherboards because this is a nice case...

Nope, the layout is completely different and BTX cases have the opening on the other side now.

For more info, read here
BTX info

hmm.. i wonder if Lian li and coolermaster will release new BTX compatable mobo trays for their atx cases

It's compatable if ya have a dremal and maybe a drill...just lay the mobo ontop of the case and mark the non-existing holes with a pen/marker...then just drill the holes...easy cheesy!!!

Originally posted by Metallica_Band
It's compatable if ya have a dremal and maybe a drill...just lay the mobo ontop of the case and mark the non-existing holes with a pen/marker...then just drill the holes...easy cheesy!!!

NO

BTX specs have the CPU and card slots reversed from ATX.

As for the original question - Can your case use BTX when it is released? Definitely maybe. Either Lian Li and Coolermaster will be releasing motherboard trays that let you replace the removeable trays and backplanes in your case or some third party (maybe me) will produce the replacement trays. This will not provide the airflow pattern specific to the BTX spec, but will allow the BTX mobos in a current case.

Originally posted by Xeese
BTX specs have the CPU and card slots reversed from ATX.

As for the original question - Can your case use BTX when it is released? Definitely maybe. Either Lian Li and Coolermaster will be releasing motherboard trays that let you replace the removeable trays and backplanes in your case or some third party (maybe me) will produce the replacement trays. This will not provide the airflow pattern specific to the BTX spec, but will allow the BTX mobos in a current case.

Yes technically that is possible to do, but why would you want to have your CPU (which is all nice and hot) near the bottom of your case, and I'm also sure that it would be a nightmare for cable management. (ATX power connector allllll the way accross your mobo).

Really if we move to BTX spec... it would probably be the best idea to actually spend some money and get yourself another nice case.

Depending on how airflow is with the case, or if it is watercooled having the CPU at the bottom may not be an issue. As for the ATX cable length - finally a reason for the huge length on the Antec Trupowers! Personally I am waiting for awhile to do any switch, but if there is demand for the trays and profit to be made it makes sense to get the profit. ;)

Ya BTX is a totally different layout. Buying a new case will be necessary if you get BTX. Anyone know if BTX will have Pci Express ??

BTX isnt going to be an isssue for a while, dont get all worked up about it... it will initally be for OEM's and if it goes real well then it will filter down to us...

anyone buy a WTX case?

ya dont think so :rolleyes:

BTX is silly and pointless. 2.2lb heatsink and a gazillion holes for pretty much everything in the case? No thanks.

Originally posted by drewb99
BTX is silly and pointless. 2.2lb heatsink and a gazillion holes for pretty much everything in the case? No thanks.
What The Eff are you talking about?!?!?

:rolleyes: i'm sick of these threads.

BTX won't be mainstream until mid-late next year. just buy a new case and use your old PC as a server or something that's what i do ;)

Originally posted by FLECOM
BTX isnt going to be an isssue for a while, dont get all worked up about it... it will initally be for OEM's and if it goes real well then it will filter down to us...
Hear, hear :)

BTX offers few to no real improvements over ATX, so the urge to upgrade won't be even nearly as strong as with AT to ATX.

Totally different, that is why I am going to stick with shuttle cases. But that last Lian Li that looked like a G5 is in my future :D :D :D

Originally posted by theNoid
Ya BTX is a totally different layout. Buying a new case will be necessary if you get BTX. Anyone know if BTX will have Pci Express ??

BTX is a case / motherboard layout. this does not effect type of slots that can be used...

Originally posted by UnknownSouljer
Really if we move to BTX spec... it would probably be the best idea to actually spend some money and get yourself another nice case.

True enough, but some of us have considerable time and money invested into cases that were designed to be *forever* so I think it is a plenty valid question.

BTX was designed for desktops, not towers. The airflow characteristics just won't work.

The change over will be easy if, as someone mentioned before, companies that make cases with removeable motherboard trays make it possible to buy a new tray. Just slide out old try, put in new tray.

No, they're not. They are for ATX boards. The board is just mounted upside down from the way they are normally mounted. Look at the mountings, you can see where the P4 mounting holes are.

Originally posted by Defective
No, they're not. They are for ATX boards. The board is just mounted upside down from the way they are normally mounted. Look at the mountings, you can see where the P4 mounting holes are.

edited for stupidity

those are not BTX cases you are right.

BTX is a godsend.

1. It allows for more optimized cooling.

2. It allows for a larger amount of shit crammed into your PC.

3. It allows for a greater amount of power regulation.

4. It gives the ability to be expanded on for the future based on newer and upcoming technology (Faster CPU's, SATA, etc.)

5. It makes your PC QUIETER!

Number 5 is the big kicker. I have a PC that the woman does not like hearing as it's loud due to th e5 fans that are needed to regulate the air flow. If I can get one of these and keep the hardware I have sans a new MOBO and less fans then what't not to love?

This truely is a corporate top down decision. PC's have to go faster and faster and Intel is driving the force the best possible solution for the future as the technology is 20+ years old as it is.

In short, it's the future, it's the way it's going to be, adapt or die.

In other words, nothing you couldn't do with ATX. My biggest problem with BTX is the fact that they practically TRY to make it incompatible with ATX everything, they flip-flop the mobo, switch the case around, they'll probably make wacky-size fans like 111mm just to piss people who bought anything before BTX off.

Originally posted by Outback2k1
That's WTX. Which is just an ATX board mounted upside-down. :rolleyes:

not quite, WTX is not just ATX upside down, it also reverses the position of the slots and the mobo ports... like the ps2 usb etc... are still at the top even tho the board is mounted the other way...

did that make any sence?

ok, take your motherboard, cut it next to your agp slot, so your pci/agp are all on one piece, now take the piece with your proc and all the ports and put it on the other side,

that is WTX ;)

Originally posted by drewb99
they'll probably make wacky-size fans like 111mm just to piss people who bought anything before BTX off.

now THAT would be really odd

Back