ATTO Disk Benchmark- write safe?

acesea

Limp Gawd
Joined
Oct 2, 2004
Messages
211
When benchmarking with ATTO is data written over?

I'm curious since I see many individuals test empty vs data filled drives with ATTO.

Yet, for example, HD Tune Pro prevents write tests on partitioned devices thereby allowing only non-partitioned (no data?) devices to be write benchmarked.
 
Last edited:
I get a message "unable to write file" if I fill the drive I am testing up with rar files. If I set the Total Length to 16MB it runs, and creates a benchtst.$$$ in the root folder, that is as big as the Total Length setting, 16MB in my case. CHKDSK /r and integrity check of the rar files afterwards was fine.

So it should be safe to use, but if you test a mechanical HDD and there are files on it, you won't get max speed since the benchtst.$$$ file might get fragmented and not positioned at the beginning of the drive.

Sorry for necroposting but I couldn't find an answer in the help file, and this page appears at top of list in google search :D

ATTO_Disk_Benchmark_does_not_overwrite_data.png
 
Back
Top