ATTN Shipping experts - How to ship a Desktop Pc And 19" Crt Monitor And a 27" TV?

Im moving to california from the east coast and obviously want to bring all my computer/entertainment equipment with me safely. The plane leaves sep1st back to california and i want to get this stuff packaged safely and sent out asap to my new apartment in california. The things im packaging are my samsung 955df 19inch monitor, thermaltake tsusnami case full of hardware, and a jvc 27inch tv that probably weighs 100lbs.

So basically what do you all think i need to do in terms of packaging to ensure safe delivery?

Appreciate the help,

Mike

A box significantly larger than the item you are shipping, styrofoam and peanuts to pad your item in the middle of the box. Make sure everything is padded securely and that your stuffs do not rattle inside the box. Are you shipping via a moving company or a shipping company? (UPS). Either way, you want to pack them so that if you drop the box 3 feet, the stuffs inside will not rattle and will be OK. If you don't want to purchase styrofoam or peanuts, then clothings (t-shirts and soft clothing) should be OK.

only choice i have is ups or fedex. My father told me over the phone that it would cost 100$+ just to package my computer? I dont have any boxes currently so it seems like i have to go to ups to get boxes? Im just looking for a cost effective and safe way to do this. Because im obviously shipping very heavy things.

I would consider selling the TV and monitor and purchasing something new upon arrival. Shipping cost is going to cut into your pocket book:(

well i cant really afford to buy a new tv and monitor that would just make me have to pay more in the end. There must be some ground shipping method that is cheap :(

this may sound stupid but is what i did when i shipped a 52inch plasma to montreal for my grandparents call up a trucking company and ship it all on a pallet its gonna be like 150 bucks but its safe and inshured and there not asses if something may happen to it because u get a picture of what it looks like when it goes on the truck and when it comes off the truck and there no packages being thrown around o nothing is gonna break just wrap a blanket around the item set on pallet shrink wrap and its on its way

well i found the case for my pc tsunami case, do i need to remove the parts from my pc? Doesnt dell ship their desktop pc's with the components inside,ect.. I have the full box that came with my tsunami case so im just curious

Sapphire9800 said:
well i found the case for my pc tsunami case, do i need to remove the parts from my pc? Doesnt dell ship their desktop pc's with the components inside,ect.. I have the full box that came with my tsunami case so im just curious

Make sure everything is secure with screws, zip ties, and masking tape. I would suggest taking out the CPU and heatsink just to be safe. Also, the video card if it's high end or has an after market hsf that makes it pretty heavy.

its a amd athlon 1800, new psu, new case, old mobo, gf3ti500 old video card, audigy2zs, dvd rw writer, and a ati hdtv wonder, 80gig hdd. I'll remove the heatsink and cpu but what is the purpose of doing all that? Im just curious why i have to remove parts like those when dell desktop pc's r shipped intact? Yes i want to be safe and all, and i think the whole idea of shipping a custom built pc is scary, but i also want to make sure i have a reason for doing something. I trust all of you, im just a guy who likes to ask the question why alot :)

I would also suggest removing key items from your computer before shipping. Dell ships intact systems, but they are ultra-engineered, and not your every day home-built computer. I would do this: remove the HSF and CPU. Put the HSF in the box that the computer ships in, outside of the case. Carry the CPU with you on the plane. Also, remove and carry with you the harddrive and video card. For me, the harddrives are the most important part of my computers (because they hold all my docs and important files). Everything else can be replaced; your data cannot.

For the TV, yeah, I'd use a trucking company and put the thing on a pallet and wrap it up. They will pick it up at your place. It will cost a bit, but not much more than trying to box it up and ship it via UPS or Fedex.

And most importantly, take pictures of your items before you ship. That way, if something gets broken, you can back it up with pics.

Good luck!

Back