Attn: for all ThemeXP.org users

[H]ard|Gawd
My best friend recently got one of the top rated themes from themexp.org, and let me tell you it looked good @ first, but the theme also came with extra addons, one was called Clock Sync and it TOTALLY screwed up his computer. It installed a process called "SAVE.EXE" and it took up about 50MB of his memory usage, made his computer freeze and slow up very bad.

When we did a scan w/AdWare Pro it identified 3 active processes, all from this "theme" he had downloaded, and not only that, it made adware freeze.

I URGE all users of themexp.org to WATCH for suspicious addons that come with themes.

the theme that he had a problem with was all red w/a japanese symbol on wallpaper, sry i don't know the exact name, but he told me it was one of the top rated themes.

Originally posted by 133
My best friend recently got one of the top rated themes from themexp.org, and let me tell you it looked good @ first, but the theme also came with extra addons, one was called Clock Sync and it TOTALLY screwed up his computer. It installed a process called "SAVE.EXE" and it took up about 50MB of his memory usage, made his computer freeze and slow up very bad.

When we did a scan w/AdWare Pro it identified 3 active processes, all from this "theme" he had downloaded, and not only that, it made adware freeze.

I URGE all users of themexp.org to WATCH for suspicious addons that come with themes.

the theme that he had a problem with was all red w/a japanese symbol on wallpaper, sry i don't know the exact name, but he told me it was one of the top rated themes.

That's weird...Did he say "yes" to something or was it auto-installed on him?

Its also with other downloads. Watch them, I am not sure what is going on, but I don't like it.

Cheers,

Originally posted by jamezzz122
That's weird...Did he say "yes" to something or was it auto-installed on him?

it was autoinstalled i believe, but i'll have to ask him.

Yeah if you hit the "more info" button for a theme you will notice that on some you will see a message that says something like "This author has generously allowed us to wrap his theme, this allows us to cover costs etc." or something to that extent. In other words they are wrapping the theme in spyware/adware. Download.com does the same thing to some of their downloads. That kind of ticked me off when i read that at the bottom of a theme i was going to download. I do not know why an author would allow them to do that, but then again they might not know any better.:rolleyes: Anyway i never download any of the themes/logons/boot screens that have that message at the bottom, and I would highly suggest anyone else lookout for it as well.

I tried to download one of those themes (or was it an Icon Set? Hmm I forgot) and it came out to be and .exe file. So I ran it and at the begginging of the installer, it asked do I agree to this term of condition and it was some ad-ware program to go along with my theme. Something like SaveNow. So just be more aware of what your installing.

Rule of them, make sure its a jpeg or bmp. Also if its in a zip only extract the image :) If it's an .exe I'll get another wallpaper.

I work for a university computer department and this is the biggest problem we run into. People don't read everything while installing. I ran into a theme like that too and it asked me to agree to install SaveNow. READ THINGS BEFORE YOU CLICK YES

Back