• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Attention ya Nvidia F'ers!

Netrat33

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Aug 6, 2004
Messages
4,894
Relax relax just trying to be funny :) This is a positive thread

Need your opinions

OK so Compusa is doing a anything over 399 finance for 18 months (pretty kick ass)
And for my second computer (like I posted drunk long time ago ;) I want a nvidia card (Told you I'm not a fan-oska-daboysay)

I almost got a PNY card but...lucky me...ONE 6800 GT OC by BFG woohoo! (I just feel more comfortable with a card that seems to have a good reputation) That's what I wanted...KINDA. Now I'm on a mindset to always get the TOP of the line for any card. Now the GT is pretty sweet, but it's not the ultra

I know a lot of people here say "just overclock it to ultra speeds"
I'm not an overclocker. Makes me nervous. But: I heard it's easy with these cards. Is it like a slider or something like that in drivers? Sorry I don't know :confused:

Should I just wait and get the Ultra *vaporware much like XTPE arguement but I could wait*?
The vaporware comment because I dont' see it in retail stores for me to finance it.

Or should I take it back and get a x800pro
(that's a joke...ok..I don't want the pro not that I'm against it, just want my second card to be nvidia because I liked both companies in this 'battle')
 
Get the Coolbits 2.0 reg-tweak from Guru3d.com, and then you got 2 options:
Either autodetect O.C. rates or just pull a slider to O.C. :)

Terra - Good luck with your new card :)
 
I personally bought the Ultra so I wouldn't have to worry about overclocking...plus the Heatsink/Fan on the Ultra is huge in comparison :) But, from what I've heard overclocking to Ultra speeds is pretty easy. You install coolbits (im so used to it, I can add it to the reg myself), and you reboot. Then, you click properties on ur desktop, then go to display, then click advanced....and there should be a tab with your videocard's name on it...click that, and on the left there are alot of different settings you can edit, and one will say Clock Frequencies (if you installed CoolBits). You select the Manual Overclock and move the sliders to where you want them. Not too hard at all.

Just remember most people consider hitting 400Mhz/1100MHz Ultra speeds, but MY ultra (and damn near all other ultras) actually come with 425/1100MHz for their clocks...nVidia's reference of 400MHz doesn't really fly anymore for one reason or another. Hope this helps.
 
You know you don't have to reboot for registry entires to take place? You can just log off and then click your name again... It resets windows basically... This is how I do my clock speeds. Saves alot of time
 
tsuehpsyde said:
I personally bought the Ultra so I wouldn't have to worry about overclocking...plus the Heatsink/Fan on the Ultra is huge in comparison :) But, from what I've heard overclocking to Ultra speeds is pretty easy. You install coolbits (im so used to it, I can add it to the reg myself), and you reboot. Then, you click properties on ur desktop, then go to display, then click advanced....and there should be a tab with your videocard's name on it...click that, and on the left there are alot of different settings you can edit, and one will say Clock Frequencies (if you installed CoolBits). You select the Manual Overclock and move the sliders to where you want them. Not too hard at all.

Just remember most people consider hitting 400Mhz/1100MHz Ultra speeds, but MY ultra (and damn near all other ultras) actually come with 425/1100MHz for their clocks...nVidia's reference of 400MHz doesn't really fly anymore for one reason or another. Hope this helps.

See you have a little of my mentality ;)
I would have snagged the BFG ultra in a heartbeat if they had one, but I'm always hearign the bang for the buck for GTs and I agree...so that's why I haven't quiet opened it yet. But I'm lickin my chops! Just because BFG seems to be harder to find now a days (RETAIL not ETAIL)
 
I suggest to get the GT for the greatest bang for the buck. Mine is clocked very easily to 412/1150 via the coolbits (which is a very simple slider bars for gpu clock and memory speed). But if you wanted to be patient to get a Ultra, then get it if you are not comfortable with overclocking or any kind of tweaking.
 
It seems to me that based on what you have said and if you have the cash, get the ultra if you can find one and be done with it. The GT is a much better bang for the buck though and considering it is for a second rig...
 
Overclocking a video card is the most nOOb friendly overclocking scenario out there. Its not like overclocking CPU/Mobo/RAM. Its nearly impossible to damage one of the new video cards by overclocking it unless you just go out of your way in trying to do so. The nVidia NV40's have thermal throttling so they downclock themselves automatically if they get too hot.

You'll have no problem pushing a 6800GT to 400/1100 or a little higher. Just overclock using CoolBits which is a very simple integrated solution into the nVidia drivers. Then test using 3Dmark05 or an intensive PC game like DOOM 3, HL2, or Far Cry.
 
I know what you mean about overclocking making you nervous - it does the same to me as well, though I'm still keen.

I've got an Ultra and feel slightly obliged to try overclocking it simply to make these upstart GT owners know their place ;) but every time a game crashes or something locks up, I start thinking about if it's caused by the overclock and if I'm damaging my card. I know it's unlikely, but I've shelled out a load of cash on it and I don't want to blow it up for a 20Mhz core increase and slight memory boost.

On the other hand, if you have the cash for an Ultra, would it not be better invested on a new SLI-enabled motherboard when they come out and a PCI-e 6800GT ready for dumping a second one in there when you sell the XT-PE listed in your sig? I kid, I kid.

On an unrelated note - I have to chuckle to myself (sorry) when I see all these US complaints about no 6800Ultras being available. The BFG model has been continuously available in the UK - normally it is us that suffers with things like this, but for once we have a stockist who seems to have bought in a cartload of them.
 
mulpsmebeauty said:
I know what you mean about overclocking making you nervous - it does the same to me as well, though I'm still keen.

I've got an Ultra and feel slightly obliged to try overclocking it simply to make these upstart GT owners know their place ;) but every time a game crashes or something locks up, I start thinking about if it's caused by the overclock and if I'm damaging my card. I know it's unlikely, but I've shelled out a load of cash on it and I don't want to blow it up for a 20Mhz core increase and slight memory boost.

On the other hand, if you have the cash for an Ultra, would it not be better invested on a new SLI-enabled motherboard when they come out and a PCI-e 6800GT ready for dumping a second one in there when you sell the XT-PE listed in your sig? I kid, I kid.

On an unrelated note - I have to chuckle to myself (sorry) when I see all these US complaints about no 6800Ultras being available. The BFG model has been continuously available in the UK - normally it is us that suffers with things like this, but for once we have a stockist who seems to have bought in a cartload of them.

My second rig is my older computer before I upgraded to this one (3000+ xp processor)
So not quite ready to go broke again and buy another CPU for a SLI motherboard...(believe me that crossed my mind though) :D

Sell the XTPE?? NEVER!* ;) love this card!


*meaning the day that it's a piece of crap 3 years from now
 
Netrat33 said:
Sell the XTPE?? NEVER!* ;) love this card!

Its a great card but has no real advantage over a much cheaper X800XT or modded X800Pro TIVO so it would make ALOT of sense for an X800XT PE owner to sell their card to some dimwit on Ebay for $700 and buy a $450 X800XT and pocketing $250 for other upgrades.
 
burningrave101 said:
Its a great card but has no real advantage over a much cheaper X800XT or modded X800Pro TIVO so it would make ALOT of sense for an X800XT PE owner to sell their card to some dimwit on Ebay for $700 and buy a $450 X800XT and pocketing $250 for other upgrades.

Well the XT is not the PE
The x800pro TIVO is not the XTPE "True" That's why I personally bought the XTPE.
 
I noticed you have my mouse too Netrat33....what kind of keyboard do you have with it? I know, quite off-topic, but I have to know lol...the only wireless keyboards I can find are bundled with a mouse....which I completely DO NOT need haha. I love my MX1000 btw, best mouse I've ever had...especially since I've refused to use mouse pad's since optical came out.

As far as mulpsmebeauty said about blowing up an expensive card over 20MHz, I agree....I had a GF3 Ti200 which wasn't top of the line, so therefore had more headroom...and I overclocked the hell out of that card and it was rock-solid....plus I had no fear of it dying since I planned on upgrading to the 6800U so if it died, oh well...but now, I can't overclock without reguard. What scares me are the thermal readings...even on the stock 425/1100 it gets REALLY fucking hot....like 75C+???? wow, that's alot...and the thermal throttle is at 115C which to me seems waaaaay too high...i think my A64 throttles at like 75C? or 80C...but still...seems like it's not that hard to straight up MELT a 6800U :( Started overclocking last night and got it up to 440/1.3 but went to sleep....strange thing is, when i push the core to 445, my Aquamark3 scores DROP? This card is definately a fickle monster, one which i don't wish to anger :p
 
tsuehpsyde said:
I noticed you have my mouse too Netrat33....what kind of keyboard do you have with it? I know, quite off-topic, but I have to know lol...the only wireless keyboards I can find are bundled with a mouse....which I completely DO NOT need haha. I love my MX1000 btw, best mouse I've ever had...especially since I've refused to use mouse pad's since optical came out.

As far as mulpsmebeauty said about blowing up an expensive card over 20MHz, I agree....I had a GF3 Ti200 which wasn't top of the line, so therefore had more headroom...and I overclocked the hell out of that card and it was rock-solid....plus I had no fear of it dying since I planned on upgrading to the 6800U so if it died, oh well...but now, I can't overclock without reguard. What scares me are the thermal readings...even on the stock 425/1100 it gets REALLY fucking hot....like 75C+???? wow, that's alot...and the thermal throttle is at 115C which to me seems waaaaay too high...i think my A64 throttles at like 75C? or 80C...but still...seems like it's not that hard to straight up MELT a 6800U :( Started overclocking last night and got it up to 440/1.3 but went to sleep....strange thing is, when i push the core to 445, my Aquamark3 scores DROP? This card is definately a fickle monster, one which i don't wish to anger :p

I'm leaning towards keeping this card. I might need to do a last "call around town" and see if I get lucky that way though.Man 75C? really?
Keyboard is just a normal black keyboard. Yea I never used an optical mouse before, but I had a "feeling" with this mouse. Awesome mouse! OK nuff sidetracking ;)
 
Netrat33 said:
Well the XT is not the PE
The x800pro TIVO is not the XTPE "True" That's why I personally bought the XTPE.

What's the difference? With a flashed BIOS no one will know the difference.
 
Jonsey said:
What's the difference? With a flashed BIOS no one will know the difference.

Mentally ;)

plus voided warrantly and blah blah. If I spend a lot of money, I want a "cushion" for a while that the company will replace it if bad
 
Back
Top