Attention: ATI Videocard owners and Windows 7

tegtyme

n00b
So Ive been testing out Win 7 32bit for awhile, from before RC to RC to the current RTM with all the different Win7 32bit drivers off the ATI website including the current catalyst 9.7 release.

I have one common problem: HD video content is pixelated, real bad.

I found this out when I went into the display settings and changed the options under "make text and other items larger and smaller". I changed the option from "smaller" to "larger". After this I went and started to watch an HD movie and it was extremely pixelated. I thought that this was just some glitch with win7 or the ati drivers. New releases of win 7 came out as well as the ati win7 drivers but the problem persisted. If I move the setting to "medium" it is not as pixelated, but still pixelated none the less.
It appears the HD content is fine in its native resolution in windowed mode, but becomes pixelated when fullscreening. A problem with scaling.

Note: I found a fix
I was using VLC 1.0.0 and apparently the default video output has issues. I switched it to "Open Gl" and that solved the problem. No codec pack installs needed.

Last edited:
Might be worth looking over at Rage3D.
Saw at least of couple of threads on the 9.8 Beta and 9.7 WHQL versions.

I mostly use VLC as my main player, latest build 1.0.0, but I also have used Media Player Classic. I have enabled and disabled hardware acceleration and it doesnt seem to do anything. I also noticed that it seems to be a problem with Scaling.
The HD movie is fine at its native resolution in windowed mode, but if I full screen it thats when it becomes pixelated.

So I just recently tried to use Windows Media player that came with Win7 and it cannot play mkv files off a fresh install (unrecognized file type). I installed one of the latest k-lite codec packs and was finally able to play it in the win7 WMP, and it looks like it actually works correctly! I tried using VLC after the codec install and it has the same problem still, WMP Classic seems to be working now after the codec pack.
Interesting since I didnt need any codec packs before on win XP to play MKV files perfectly in all players.

Last edited:
Why? Is there some really critical reason to be using 32bit instead of 64bit?

Does this problem happen with Win 7 64bit?

just had some friends tell me they had issues with some of their 32bit apps not working right on the 64bit OS, so I just have been using 32bit. Never tried it on 64bit yet.

I have the same issue...currently using windows 32bit since I ran into driver problems with 64bit. Would appreciate a fix for this problem.

I just did a fresh windows 7 32bit install a few days ago and I'm also using catalyst 9.7 for my 4870 1gig. I got the CCCP codec pack and haven't had any problems watching any HD videos with WMP 12 or VLC 1.0.0.

Last edited:
My HTPC is running win7 64bit with a 4670. I have absolutely no problems with video. I run media player classic / Coreavc pro for HD content and VLC for random crap... i have a ton of x.264 1080p stuff that plays absolutely flawlessly.

Windows 7 RC7100, 4870 with Cat9.7

Not 1 problem with HD movies at all

And I got about 700gigs of HD movies and never had a problem.

O and I use the CCCP codec

The problem is with VLC, not ATI or Win 7.

If you use Media Player Classic you can select your video output. EVR or Haali is going to give you the smooth crisp HD video you expect. To the best of my knowledge you can't select video output in VLC, and you're stuck with it's pixelated video.

The problem is with VLC, not ATI or Win 7.

If you use Media Player Classic you can select your video output. EVR or Haali is going to give you the smooth crisp HD video you expect. To the best of my knowledge you can't select video output in VLC, and you're stuck with it's pixelated video.

The thing is, on my other computer (with intel integrated graphics) and the same win7 build, using the same VLC, it will play the HD MKV files just fine with no pixelation (with no codec packs installed). I tried it on all settings and it works perfect.

Last edited:
My HTPC is running win7 64bit with a 4670. I have absolutely no problems with video. I run media player classic / Coreavc pro for HD content and VLC for random crap... i have a ton of x.264 1080p stuff that plays absolutely flawlessly.

No problems here either (WMP for common files, and VLC 1.0.0 for everything else), and I have one of the wimpiest of ATI DX 10 cards (HD3450 PCIe with 256 MB). While playback could be better, it's not a driver *or* codec issue (and not an operating system issue, either), but a *graphics card* issue. While the HD3450 is the bare-minimum for X/H.264 (either 720p or 1080p) HD4650 (or even HD4670) would be better (and HD4850 is preferred), simply because I'm all too often running something else in the background.

i play 1280x720/1440x1080 files on Kmplayer, using win7 RC, have no problems.

Running MPC Home Cinema on Win7 x64 with no issues. Didn't have any issues even when I was using Vista drivers under 7.

Do a fresh install, DO NOT INSTALL ANY CODECs, download MPC Home Cinema and test from there. Might as well install the 64bit version and see how it runs. Unless you have some really old ass legacy programs you'll be fine.

Do you get the same issue under a different OS?

Ok, so I found out what the problem is.
Apparently VLC's default video output has an issue. Simply switch it to "Open GL"
and everything will work just fine.
I experienced "tearing" in the movies afterward, but I simply uninstalled the codec pack I initially installed when trying to fix the scaling issue and that took care of the tearing.

Back