Attention: All Samsung 204B owners

I have the same problem.

One of the reasons i ditched Vista for Linux.

Linux exhibited the same problems for a while, until i fiddled around with the settings and got the refresh rate to 58 hertz. Then I never had that problem again.

Now I'm back on Vista since I want to stream video to my xbox360.. anyways.

As I was updated I noticed that there was an update for this monitor. And If you go into the display settings there is a setting for 58 Hertz. Let see if that solves the problem.

wait...so for the problem, does the screen just turn compeletly black or does something else happen

this is all weird!!! i have a 204 and i am having this problem too. ive had my 204 for over a year with a 7800 and i had no problems. but i recently upgraded to a 8800 and i too have the flickering. i was thinking it was a driver problem though because it has cleared up all on its own. i think the last time i had the problem i was using 162.18. also i only have this happen to me when i am playing games.

so just completely black with no artifacts. cause i have a 204bw and it sometimes would flash artifacts up on the screen. i think its my vid card though

I get the flicker after 5-10 mins but before the flickering I get artifacts on my screen.

I just spent 30mins with Samsung on the phone and they tell me its my vid card firmware, though I'll probably try calling them again tomorrow. As I've had this problem with different vid cards. Though I wish I could get powerstrip to work, since the nvidia control panel in vista wont allow you to change the refresh rate lower than 60. Did anyone have samsung ask them if they had flickering with the DVI cable unplugged and the check cable info window showing?

I'm on my fourth RMA right now. 204b. Never looked at where it was made, but after reading the issues, I can make a good guess

My first one worked for at least 6 months before it developed a black line across the middle. RMAed it without any problems.

2nd monitor had the DVI blanking out issue with my 8800gts. It was also missing bezels screws which didn't make me happy. It has a really bad light bleed going on around the corners. RMAed that one

3rd monitor took FOREVER to warmup after going into sleep mode. And it would go from very dark to full brightness, flashing at a fast rate.. maybe half of the refresh rate.. was hard to tell. Just gave me a headache. Never could get the contrast and brightness to a good level. RMAed it again

I'm now on my fourth. All seems good right now and i"m crossing my fingers. Took some work to get the contrast to a good level. Just never made it look like the brand new one I purchased in which I didn't need to modify anything.

At least their RMA process is painless.

I have two SyncMaster 204 monitors. I've had the flicker problem on both. Samsung has replace both under warranty and the flicker problem returns. All total I'vbe been affected 6 times. I recently spotted a fix on the fixya webstie.

I gave the fix a try and it worked great. Far less work than paying for out of warranty Samsung repairs in which I have no confidence. Details of the problem and an .pdf set of instructions are posted here.

Good Luck

I just repaired 2 Samsung monitors, a 204B and a 204T with the fix djonce is referring to. Worked great. 2 dollars worth of parts and probably 15 min a monitor in actual "work". (once you get them apart).

Highly recommended.

The monitors I repaired were:
- a 204T manufactured in December 2005 - this one just went black one day
- a 204B manufactured in China in June 2006 - this one did the "blinking warmup" for about 5 minutes then would run ok.

Both were used with an nVidia 8600 card.

I have another one, a 204B manufactured in China in December 2006 that doesnt have the problem yet.

I have a 204Ts that goes blank after 15min. When I turn it off and on, it works again for about 15min. What do you think? Would the replacement of capacitors fix this?

I fixed it by setting CVT reduced blank. Thanks for the tip.

Samsung 204B is a great monitor, but a dishonest engineer stole and sold a defective electrolytic formula which resulted in bad/cheap capacitors being installed by various manufacturers in many various devices, like the Samsung 204b's. I was forced to dismantle my two 204b's and replace the CAPS which had popped theirs tops so to speak. However, I still had problems with the older monitor flickering under Windows 10 using DVI.

I was also shocked to discover that Samsung had over a dozen different boards installed in these 204b monitors and I don't even think they had the correct caps installed ??? Samsung was unable to help me determine the correct cap sizes? My monitors, the same model and year, different internal boards? Go figure?

Back