Attention 7800 GTX owners. Have you replaced your stock cooler yet?

Lol! I finally got that. It's the vivo, right? Haha, and I was worried about this :D

I just replaced my 7800gtx cooler last night with the zaleman..

This is with a 500/1350 o/c.

I ran that HDR demo with all the balls before and my card would get to 80c but no higher... im thinkin maybe the fan kicked in @ 80??

Then i switched to the zaleman and i NEVER get above 61c now. I even uped the core to 515 (ARTIFACTS MUCH?) and couldnt get over 61...

so yea a 20c difference for 30$... works for me.

Also one big thing for me was, the stock cooler blew hot air right into my chipset fan, when o/c that thing would get to 55c in no time. with the zaleman it stays @ 45.

yes.

like I posted in the genreal section of video cards, I was suggesting putting a fan over top of the exposed 7800gtx heatsink.

So I went ahead and gave it a shot.

(damn is that cover cheap material, it's just lousy low grade plastic, not even stiff stuff at that)

I could have used screws, but I only have semi large ones, so they would do actual damage to the heatsink beyond bending.

So I pulled out some black zip ties.

Threaded them via the fan's screw holes, then around the back of the card, to bad the pci-e slot gets in the way of the second one so I had to drag it quite a bit across, so the fan while quite snug, has a little pull if I move it.

With stock cooling I had a 41C idle temp.

Now I have a 34C idle temp

bad thing is I had to take one of my case fans off (of power) so I could use the panaflo on it, I need more fan power adaptors

I'll post some load temps when I get a chance, I haven't really had time to play any games on my new system yet (work) which im going to in... 8 mins

Sir-Fragalot said:
I don't know if those Zalman's would work with two of those in SLi on my mobo.

I've fit 2 zalman equipped 6800GT's on DFI and MSI motherboards... EXTREMELY TIGHT... matter of fact, I had to mount the back brace on the bottom Zalman 700 upside down to prevent it from rubbing agains the fan on the top Zalman.

Worked well, BUT I don't think it will work on the 7800 because of the RamSinks being located on the back of the board. I'm sure the top fan would strike the sink....

EDIT: This info would apply to the MSI and DFI SLI boards (Gigabyte too I'm sure) because the spacing is sooo tight.

How bout some pics? I'm having trouble visualizing this.

Also, I picked up the zalman at fry's. I would've like to have a silencer, but watching my temps hit 76 makes me wanna cry ;-)

I just finished installing the Zalman VF700-Cu on my BFG 7800 GTX OC, and the results are jaw dropping. :cool: This is standard BFG 7800 setup, no overclocking.

BFG Stock Cooler
Idle - 46C
Load - 80C

Zalman VF700-Cu (Low Speed - 18.5dB)
Idle - 44C
Load - 69C

Zalman VF700-Cu (Full Speed - 28.5dB)
Idle - 39C
Load - 61C

I really did not expect the results to be this good, especially with the Zalman running on low.

This is Room Temp of about 76F on a Abit AN8 Ultra using the Nvidia Driver for Temperature Readings. I was running the Mad Mod Mike Nvidia Demo at 1280x1024 for about 10 mins for each test. I used a thin layer of artic silver 5 between the fan and GPU, for the Zalman... the BFG Stock was stock thermal paste. The Zalman comes with Thermal Grease, however, I choose to use artic silver instead.

Not only did removing the stock BFG Cooler reduce the Temp of the GPU, but it also reduces overall Ambient temperature a few degrees since the Zalman dispurses the air much better and moves a lot more air.

Removing the stock cooler is a breeze. Just remember to get the card nice and toasty before removing. ;) I ran the Mad Mike Demo until the card was about 75C, shut down and removed the stock cooler. Installation of the Zalman is a breeze. The instructions are easy to follow. Highly recommended.

Nvidia's Mad Mod Mike demo can be found here - Nvidia Demos

Oooooh, what an improvement. Leadtek 78gtx stock would touch 80, but the zalman 700 and as5 gave me the same low temps as LaRock.

12851015.jpg

Anyone else use watercooling yet? I use the Innovatek NV70 cooler which is the same as the NV40/45 LT. Seems to work fine. I had a couple of these coolers on my eVGA UEE's.

On low fan settings to the rads, in a 22C room, the card idles at 40 C when run 24 x 7. On a cold boot up, 36C. Under full gaming load, 42C. This is at the BIOS clocks of 490/1350. But, it did not change for 530/1400.

The stock BFG fan assembly idled the card at 52C (after five runs of 3Dmark05) and loaded to around 64C at 490/1350.

You can see the +40 MHz 3D bump over the BIOS clock. Then as it comes out, go to 490 then the 2D clock.

temps6xy.jpg

has anyone tried taking out the thermal pads and just applying AS5 and putting the stock hsf back on and seeing if there is a drop in temp at all?

2Fresh said:
7800WC_-_3.JPG

ViperFang H2o block.

Yes, ViperJohn does some very nice, clean work. Once I get my second GTX, I am going to give him a call ;)

So, how many volts into the GPU worked the best? When he did my UEE card, he found that 1.625 was the best and not 1.725.

Back