Attempting to troubleshoot rendering glitches...

Sanfam

Limp Gawd
Howdy, folks. I come here with ears open for thoughts on the following issue. The card in question is an a passively cooled Gigabyte 8600GTS running at stock clock speeds and was previously chugging along fairly happily until recently. The owner of the system largely plays Battlefield 2 at 1280x1024x32 at 72hz, which is where these symptoms are also most apparent.

At some point in play after the system has booted, a grid-like pattern of green artifacts appears on the screen, usually in areas where textures are being blended together in some manner (and primarily either above or below 50% opacity, it seems). My description sucks. See the screenshots below.

System Configuration
Motherboard: GA-NF650SLI-DS4
Proc: Intel C2D E6600
RAM: 2gb DDR2 800, OCZ Platinum
Video: Gigabyte 8600GTS (SilentPipe II equipped) running Forceware 163.75. This is a change from the factory stock drivers of unknown revision where the same problem occurred.
OS: Windows XP Service Pack 2, most recent patches/hotfixes

Samples of artifacting: Left: The glitch on the NV test screen with quality on high; Right: Quality on low.
glitch-q.png
glitch-p.png

In-game screenshot with quality on low
Recent shot in which the entire screen was glitching out.

It seems to be related in some way to filtering/blending, but this has been troublesome confirming.

The problem appears to be cured by a reboot, but it promptly returns. I have tried running hardware acceleration down to the centermost level. Any lower results in Directdraw being impaired to the point of unplayability. I feel I should also mention that the card itself is running comfortably, hovering just under 50C at load.

Any thoughts?

I don't usually prefer to bump my own threads, but a lack of apparent views and replies leaves me little choice.

It seems like the tv-out connector may have been causing something, but it isn't quite certain. Unplugging the tv-out module has resulted in the problems not returning as of yet. However, plugging it back in hasn't resulted in anything else, either. I'm fairly confused at this point and really don't see any distinct pattern going on. I'll post further followups if anything else occurs, but nobody appears to have anything worth chiming in on as of yet.

Back