"Attempt to access invalid address" error

kastro662

n00b
Joined
Feb 6, 2003
Messages
6
I have a friend that's receiving this error when they try to open an MS-DOS program. Trying to open the program through the short-cut on the desktop and through the actual .EXE file doesn't work. The computer has WinXP SP1. This machine also acts as a server for a Win98 machine and the Win98 machine is able to open and run the program through the network. This particular error just started occuring and I'm not sure what changes they've made to the machine. They said that there hasn't been any changes and I've been unable to tell.

I was wondering if anyone might have any idea on what might be causing this. Thanks in advance!
 
This probably has to do with the way older apps used to address memory. Make sure that the .exe file in question is set to run in a compatibility mode for WIN 98 or 95.

If that doesn't work, close all other running apps (one of them is using the mem the DOS app wants to use) and then launch the app. If the app launches, great, close the app and launch one of the apps you closed to previously. Then launch the app again. Keep doing this until you find the regular app that is pissing off your DOS app.
 
Back
Top