attatching plexi to case?

asusxp1900

Limp Gawd
Whats the best adhesive for attatching a plexy window to a case after the window has been cut? I was thinking just some silicone but was also thinking that RTV might be better. Any ideas? Thanks.

I used a generic Silicon adhesive from any hardware store, it holds like the hoover dam (sorry for the cliche). I just had one strip all around, about 3/8" wide, and 1/8" thick. Then I put on the window and held it down with books on a flat surface for 24 hours.

I used duck tape, although Im planning on bolting it to the panel

When I as stationed back in the states Wal-mart/Lowes/Home Depot sold this thick 3M clear double sided tape that works great.

I prefer to use a hot glue gun. The hold on hot glue is fairly strong and with just a bit of effort you can take the window out. Silicone glue is great but that hold is too good and I change out the plexi when it starts getting scratched up. The silcone glue hold is a pain in the rear to pull apart.

RTV is way way stronger than silicon. Well least the stuff we use on military aircraft is. ;)

i use rivets. it costs a little more ($10 +/- for the gun if you dont have one) and maybe 5 bucks for a package of rivets. i like the way rivets look. they hold very tight and if you ever want to change the window for any reason, you can drill them out easily. to add even more style, colored rivets are also available at some places.

Hey ewarz wheres a ggod place to get rivets? I'm taking apart my case and it uses rivets to attach the top and side panels.

Plumbers Goo.... clear and very effictive. Only down side is the smell is rough for a day or so.

Originally posted by CrimandEvil
Hey ewarz wheres a ggod place to get rivets? I'm taking apart my case and it uses rivets to attach the top and side panels.
Hardware stores. Although you might want to just replace the rivets with bolts in case you want to take it apart again. As far as the window goes, I recommend epoxy. It's damn strong.

I use contact cement glue on a 1/4 inch glass windows. it should do fine with plexi since it's lighter then glass. mine still hold on 2 years after I glue it.

I bought some 3M double sided tape from Home Depot, and it works great. been on there for nearly two years and hasn't slipped at all. I've carried it to numerous LANs as well.

but how thick is the 3m double sided tape? I like 3m adhesives, but I do not want my plexi sitting >1/8 inch inside the metal if possible... I like windows as flush as possible

-Hex..

Well thanks for your replys. I was going to use double sided tape but since I didnt want it to be falling off maybe with the thinner stuff and also wanted it to be as flush as possible I got some contact cement and it is stuff like a mofo. If I want to change out the plexi then I will get a new side and design a new window anyways. Thanks guys.

Had to scrounge for my tiny ruler a bit. The 3M tape is 1/32" thick which is much thicker than standard scotch tape. If you took about 5 peices of scotch tape and stacked it, that be about the same thickness.

Originally posted by Hexametaphosphate
but how thick is the 3m double sided tape? I like 3m adhesives, but I do not want my plexi sitting >1/8 inch inside the metal if possible... I like windows as flush as possible

-Hex..
It's about 3mm thick. it worked out well because I had chrome C-strip molding around the edge of my window. The tape allowed the window to become flush with the edge of the molding.

Very nice effect
:)

Originally posted by Impact9
Had to scrounge for my tiny ruler a bit. The 3M tape is 1/32" thick which is much thicker than standard scotch tape. If you took about 5 peices of scotch tape and stacked it, that be about the same thickness.

hmm we must have used different types of tape. the stuff i used was quite a bit thicker, and was black. came in a width of just under one inch. I also used it to do my stealthed drive bay covers as it allows the bay covers to be flexible enoguh to depress the button underneath, yet return to their normal position.

Best $3.00 I ever spent
:D

Thanks Fox2k... that sounds like the double sided tape that I was thinking of.... Impact9, can you tell me exactly the type of double sided tape that you bought.... I could find some use for that stuff I bet!

Thanks...

-Hex..

Back