Attaching XP-120 to mobo makes it curved

jazzwall

n00b
Hi all,

After I attached xp-120 to my X2 4800 on Asus-a8n sli mobo, the mobo is not flat anymore.... XP-120 kinda made it a little concave... so I can't really it in to the case at all of the points it's supposed to be screwed in (especially near the cpu area). I didn't try to force it in case the board snapped....

Anyone else experienced it? Is this normal? Will this affect the board in the long term?

My board is attached to the case by 4-5 instead of 10-12 screws... but it's stable. Also, XP-120 keeps my cpu at 29 C at idle. My computer's up-time now has been a month and there've been no problems so far.

-Jazz

jazzwall said:
Hi all,

After I attached xp-120 to my X2 4800 on Asus-a8n sli mobo, the mobo is not flat anymore.... XP-120 kinda made it a little concave... so I can't really it in to the case at all of the points it's supposed to be screwed in (especially near the cpu area). I didn't try to force it in case the board snapped....

Anyone else experienced it? Is this normal? Will this affect the board in the long term?

My board is attached to the case by 4-5 instead of 10-12 screws... but it's stable. Also, XP-120 keeps my cpu at 29 C at idle. My computer's up-time now has been a month and there've been no problems so far.

-Jazz

If the hsf is secure then its okay...it seems to be, as you are getting good temps. I would just keep an i eye on it.. the 120 is a heavy hs but i dont think its heavy enough to break the mobo

If the hsf is secure then its okay...it seems to be, as you are getting good temps. I would just keep an i eye on it.. the 120 is a heavy hs but i dont think its heavy enough to break the mobo

Have you ever held one in your hand? Its not heavy at all. His board is concave from when he mounted it.

orangeaccord said:

It's not the weight of the HS that's the issue... 120 is relatively light. It's just that once I tighten the HS to the MB (and it fits very nicely), it bends the MB concave a little... my question was if bending is really a problem or not.

Thanks!

-Jazz

jazzwall said:
It's not the weight of the HS that's the issue... 120 is relatively light. It's just that once I tighten the HS to the MB (and it fits very nicely), it bends the MB concave a little... my question was if bending is really a problem or not.

Thanks!

-Jazz

What do you mean tighten the heatsink to the motherboard?

hehe I can imagine that... wait I got a hyper 6 on mines! lol.. and let me tell you... :eek:

Motherboards can take a certain amount of bending. If it is very slight, I wouldn't worry about it much. You could try using different mounting holes.

you might want to shoot that question to TT as they may have had that issue already. I have an XP-90, and as far as I know, they use the same mounting mechanisms. My board isn't warped at all.

a slight warping won't hurt anything, if it's extreme (as in you're not being able to screw down all sides), I'd get a little concerned...

TheTMan said:
What do you mean tighten the heatsink to the motherboard?

hehe, what I meant was once the HS is snapped into place...

nst6563, yea, I can't screw down all sides... though I could, but that would probably snap it... my comp has been on for > month (and it's idling at around 29C)... so that's why I don't want to "fix" anything if it can just go on like that.

-Jazz

screw the motherboard into the tray then mount the heat sink, also some bending is fine pcb has a hell of a lot of copper in it

my mobo bends around the cpu area a bit from the water blocks springs being pretty tight either that or the threaded rods bent

not one issue, my graphics card when i had the zm80d-hp was about the same in bending level and i have forced motherboards to bend by up to 2 cms to fit wires behind the motherboard back when i was noob, didnt cause one problem

Back