attaching BGA ramsinks with ceramique

shamgar03

n00b
Alright, the first attaching of my OCZ ramsinks didnt work for 3 ramsinks, is it possible to attach with standard ceramique thermalpaste? Or will I have to buy 8 more ramsinks?

It's been my experience that using Ceramique is not strong enough and the ramsinks will fall off (especially if they are on the underside of a card). Usually manufacturers use thermal tape to attach the ramsinks.

you can try arctic alumina adhesive, but they say its more a permanent solution so it will be very difficult to take off if you want to reuse your ramsinks.

Yeah, Arctic Alumina is permanent (for all intents and purposes). I've heard of a few people who've had luck getting the sinks off by putting the card in the freezer (allegedly the cold weakens the bond somewhat) but you run a huge risk of ripping a chip off your card.

shamgar03 said:
Alright, the first attaching of my OCZ ramsinks didnt work for 3 ramsinks, is it possible to attach with standard ceramique thermalpaste? Or will I have to buy 8 more ramsinks?
ok i have to ask --> do you mean Arctic Alumina Epoxy (the best solution available although permanent)? if so did you read the mixture instructions for such? if your sinks are falling off then you've got the mixture wrong..

if you mean to say that you are attaching these with Ceramique (by Arctic Silver) then you are going about things the wrong way because Ceramique is a thermal paste (not an epoxy) and it is not meant to attach anything to anything.

- Robert (PmR)DeathInJune

Cover the ram with a thin layer ceramique.

Put a dot of superglue in the middle.

Slap the heatsink on with just a hair of side to side motion to get good contact.

Wallah.

Got 4 of em on my 7800GTX and it works like a charm.

Back