attaching an additional switch question

nomak

Limp Gawd
I have a DI-624 router with built in 4 port switch running my network as of right now.. I am wanting to expand to my network by adding an additional switch coming off my Dlink router/switch.. My question is can I do this even though my router has no upling port ?? can I just use an exisiting port to do so or do I need to by a router that supports and has a port for uplinking an additional switch to my network.

To connect between devices of the same type you need a crossover cable.

An uplink port just had this port pre-wired to be a crossover internally so you can use a regular cable.

Almost every newer switch has the capability to automatically crossover any port it needs to. auto mdi-x i think the feature is called.

So this all means that you can just plug a switch into any port you want on the LAN side of your dlink. If it doesnt work you could try a crossover cable, but i think a regular ethernet cable will work gine.

most new devices will detect that a switch has been connected so no cross over cable is needed.

yes my router does support the auto mdi-x so I should be good to go then.. thanks

Back