ATT Unlimited Data: What's it worth?

Tosicc

Limp Gawd
A friend of mine is cancelling his ATT account with a $30 grandfathered data package... What is everyone thoughts as to what lengths should I be willing to go to make it my own? Does anyone have any experience doing something like this?

well im grandfathered and now since they changed the rules a month or 2 ago whenever i go beyond 3 gigs they throttle the shit out of me. I go from 450-500 kbps all the way down to 23 kbps if im lucky...... its usually around 10 kbps. kinda useless if you plan on using netflix, google maps or anything really at all. i can watch maybe 4 movies then poof, i hit the limit for the month then im throttled. I went on vacation to L.A. used my iPhone to navigate my way around town..... with google maps...... poof...... throttled for high data usage.... the new rules make it pretty useless for the grandfathered customers....... I'm about to disconnect myself and all 5 lines and go to sprint when the next iphone comes out. hope they still have their "unlimited" plan.......

Last edited:
I have to agree with reapergato, though I have been lucky enough to not get throttled yet. I'm mostly running data through wifi but I liked the idea that I had that grandfathered in unlimited pipe there when needed. The only plus to a grandfathered unlimited plan is that they can't charge you overage on data if you go past 3gigs. Instead they make your smartphone nearly useless trying to get past 3.01gigs.

yea the new company line they give its unlimited data customers is "we guarentee unlimited use of the information super-highway, we just dont guarentee how fast it will be." there was a funny video i saw on youtube someplace..... had a guy with a 56k modem on an ANTIQUE PC and his throttled iphone, he managed to dial an ISP, connect, open Internet explorer, load google maps, look up address on a map and load a map, now if you look at the screen of his iphone... it still shows google maps with a little blue dot where he is standing... on a grey and white grid with just the blue dot......45 seconds later the map finally loads. kinda bad when your old dialup connection blows away a throttled iphone. LOL

Definitely not worth it. See all of the above.

Unlimited on Verizon though.. that's still worth something. I'm sticking to mine as long as I can. They can't throttle users on LTE, only on 3G and they only do if you're within the top 5% of bandwidth users on that tower and only for the amount of time that the tower/network is congested (not until the next billing cycle).

Definitely not worth it. See all of the above.

Unlimited on Verizon though.. that's still worth something. I'm sticking to mine as long as I can. They can't throttle users on LTE, only on 3G and they only do if you're within the top 5% of bandwidth users on that tower and only for the amount of time that the tower/network is congested (not until the next billing cycle).

This is what AT&T should be doing. That's an effective network management tool. Throttling arbitrarily is just an obvious money grab.

This is what AT&T should be doing. That's an effective network management tool. Throttling arbitrarily is just an obvious money grab.

Yup, they make that obvious by putting their soft "cap" right in between their two bottom tiered data plans (2GB plan and 4GB plan). Also, when you're on those tiered plans, they don't throttle you once you've passed your allotment, they just charge you another $10 for every additional GB over your plan.

I don't see how they think that's a good strategy. If their subscribers start noticing that, it most likely isn't going to make them move to their tiered plan, it will most likely cause them to change carriers (either to Sprint for unlimited data or anything else just out of spite).

Yup, they make that obvious by putting their soft "cap" right in between their two bottom tiered data plans (2GB plan and 4GB plan). Also, when you're on those tiered plans, they don't throttle you once you've passed your allotment, they just charge you another $10 for every additional GB over your plan.

I don't see how they think that's a good strategy. If their subscribers start noticing that, it most likely isn't going to make them move to their tiered plan, it will most likely cause them to change carriers (either to Sprint for unlimited data or anything else just out of spite).

Problem with going to Sprint is they would get those 10kb/s speeds all the time. :D

....Seriously, that's what I get on 3G.

Currently, Verizon unlimited data is worth its weight in gold. My data usage has gone to the double and triple digits in gigabytes and not a peep from Verizon from my LTE phone. When I switch to 3G, that isn't throttled either.

I will enjoy it as long as it lasts until Verizon forces me off the plan or institutes throttling like ATT does with their "unlimited" data.

To parrot the others in this thread, A&TT unlimited has a 3 Gb a month data cap. I have friends that have been getting the notices and the throttling that hits afterwards is pathetic and worse than the speeds I was getting with Sprint.

FWIW Verizon currently has 4 Gigs for $30.00 a month which is better than AT&T unlimited.

I went from Sprint to Verizon -- scored the double data package, 10GB a month for 50 dollars.

Yes, that's high, but the speed is awesome I <3 LTE.

Granted I don't steam movies or anything so I should be good, I think the most I used last month was 2GB. Loving verizon so far.

I went from Sprint to Verizon -- scored the double data package, 10GB a month for 50 dollars.

Granted I don't steam movies or anything so I should be good, I think the most I used last month was 2GB. Loving verizon so far.

I did the same thing, I went back and looked at my Sprint bills for the last year and saw I never used more than 2.5 Gb so I just decided to keep the 4Gb plan.

Honeslly I use 3g 99% of the time I'm away from Wifi as 4g was killing my battery too quickly. Verizons 3G is about what I was getting with Sprints 4g so I'm pretty happy.

yea im lucky my buddy has a 3g sprint phone and its absolutely great no speed or network issues at all... dont know about their 4g though. i donno where ill go but i defanitly wont stay with ATT after all this.

Is there really nothing that can be done legally against the ATT assholes changing this crap after so many years paying for their service?

Is there really nothing that can be done legally against the ATT assholes changing this crap after so many years paying for their service?

let me know if you find something.... ive given thousands of dollars to those assholes.... i wouldnt mind getting some of it back!

Once you get a 4G phone you will find out quickly that unlimited data is worth it. 4G just makes it so easy to use you will find yourself using high bandwidth apps a lot more.

I dont see how people use that much data. I hadnt been on a 4g rom on my phone (evo 3d) and recently went back to one since I get 4g at work. Watched quite a bit of netflix (at least a few hours worth, saved by the bell and blue mountain state mostly) and barely did a gig of 4g data and did a gig of 3g as well. Add in what my wife used, and did maybe 3gb of data between two phones.

Even with 3G its really easy to go over the stupid 3GB limit they put before slowing me down. I listen to streaming audio or video while driving back and forth from work. Based on my current use about 5GB should cover me if I dont use it at work but I feel like its a ripoff that now I have to watch my usage if I have unlimited.
I am going to contact a lawyer to see what can be done here...I am not going to take this BS just sitting down.

I don't steam movies either ;). I have Sprint and I love the unlimited data just because I never worry about it. I know Verizon is faster but I don't want to pay for it. Sprint is starting to upgrade their data network in 2013---I can't wait.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"Those who can’t write, write manuals."
PCB Board --- they're in more things than you would think.

Back