ATT: All Nvidia Geforce 88xx Owners Please test your cards for buzzing/sqealing

A lot of computer parts like to squeal. Try plugging in a ton of USB peripherals and see how your computer sounds.

Mine only squeals if I take it over to farmer John's. Those damn pigs get into everything!

How quiet is your computer? Is your side panel off and your ear near the card? Are you trying to 3d view in ATITool?
Pretty loud machine, but the side panel's off, and no buzzing/squealing running RTHDRIBL, games, on boot-up or shutdown. Stuck my head in to make sure, and there's only the whooshing of the fan (fairly distinct in comparison to the Yate Loons).

The problem, at least for some, seems to have been identified, half-way down the third page of this thread on the EVGA forums.

Anyone want to test it out? :p

that seems to be a potential BIG problem for NVIDIA

Uhm... Why?

Most electronics squeal. TV's, most power transformers, the original Macbook Pro? Just to name a few.

My new motherboard just starting buzzing yesterday. Not happy. It isn't a sqeal but a noticeable buzz that is constant.

Do a finger temp test on the voltage regs and other surface mount components on the back of the card.

When highly overclocking / volt modding the 7900 series, some people were reporting a squeeling/buzzing noise as well. It had to do with stuff getting too hot. Put a ramsink on the parts that are getting hot and the problem goes away.

i think my 8800gts 640mb evga stock clocks might sometimes do this i just thought it was my xcilo 500 watt psu, but it rarely does it use to do it a lot but it went away.

it might be a coil that's just vibrating under load.

try some hot glue on the part to see if it gets rid of the buzzing...

So is it bad if it makes those sounds? It's a pretty powerful card after all. Like my fridge makes a buzzing sound when it starts to run. Maybe cause it's drawing a lot of power? (I don't know). If it's a problem that could cause the cards to fail, many should have by now considering they've been out since last year.

I've run all those programs/games, never encountered squealing or buzzing.

EVGA 8800GTS & Xclio stablepower 460w

No buzzing or humming or anything during the normal running of any 3d apps. However, at shut down there is a slight squeak. It's kinda cute. Anyway, my card runs like a beast (and only at 58c at full load with a high OC) so if that's the only problem, I can definitely live with it.

Pretty much every graphics card I've owned squeals in 3D after I've volt modded it. If you're running at stock there's absolutely nothing to worry about unless the noise bothers you.

My EVGA 8600 GTS (256MB) definitely buzzes - easily distinguishable over every other noise my PC makes, which is fairly quiet. It's growing on me - but it still pi$$es me off and I hate that my card does it. Not going to RMA it for I know it will not solve anything and just irritate me more. Waiting for the manufacturers to actually redeem themselves and get enough balls to own up to the lousy QC during the construction of the fan/heatinks that are the source of the noise.

My EVGA 8600 GTS (256MB) definitely buzzes - easily distinguishable over every other noise my PC makes, which is fairly quiet. It's growing on me - but it still pi$$es me off and I hate that my card does it. Not going to RMA it for I know it will not solve anything and just irritate me more. Waiting for the manufacturers to actually redeem themselves and get enough balls to own up to the lousy QC during the construction of the fan/heatinks that are the source of the noise.

Uhhh... The noise that is being described in this thread is a voltage loading noise. A buzzing that changes in frequency with differing loads across the card... probably caused by a MOSFET filtering poor power, or being operating outside their recommended specs.

It's got nothing to do with the HSF.

Since you're noticing a noise from your 8600 (not the 8800's that we're dealing with here) fan unit, there's a defective portion on your card, and it should be returned to the manufacturer.

8800gtx acs3 - toughpower 1k
8800gts SC - 750w silencer quad
No squeals/cracks/pops.

My rig has been a rock for 6 months now. I just replaced my Enermax Liberty 500W with a Corsair 620HX tonight, let me tell you; what a piece of crap. On first boot, I got the beeping from the GTX's buzzer, and no video. I turned it off, rechecked everything and powered it back up. It booted, and ran fine 2d for 1/2 hour. When starting up a game, she hard locked on me. I got the beep on shut down also. Total shit this supply. I put the Liberty back and all is good. No more buzzing.

My rig has been a rock for 6 months now. I just replaced my Enermax Liberty 500W with a Corsair 620HX tonight, let me tell you; what a piece of crap. On first boot, I got the beeping from the GTX's buzzer, and no video. I turned it off, rechecked everything and powered it back up. It booted, and ran fine 2d for 1/2 hour. When starting up a game, she hard locked on me. I got the beep on shut down also. Total shit this supply. I put the Liberty back and all is good. No more buzzing.

Supply is defective. That's why you buy Corsair instead of direct from Seasonic -- better customer support. RMA it and stop complaining, there are a certain number of pieces defective from any company.

Afraid not. My Ultra's just fine.

Same here,got my eVGA ULTRA the other day and its fine,no noise at all.I oc'd it right away to 650/1600/2300,and then looped 3DMark2k6 + prime 95 25.3 for 5 hours to see
if it was stable.

No noise with my EVGA 8800GTS 320mb SC when running that demo. I have a Seasonic S12 Energy+ 650W PS. That's a very cool demo!

I've had mine for months, (8800 GTS 640) and it does not squeal. I've been running it at 1920x1200 for NWN2, which puts a huge load on it, and it does not make sounds, though I do run the fan at 100%. It has been in two different PCs, and connected to two different power supplies with no issues. I hope this isn't a progressive problem. I have had it since March, and would hate to have this happen right as the warranty runs out. It is at a slight overclock (535/845). I didn't get a noise with the test.

There seem to be several people in those threads with that same power supply and the squeal. Maybe it is two different issues; 1. It is the squealing IC described in the eVGA thread and 2. It is exacerbated by that power supply. Seasonic makes quality PSUs _BUT_ every company puts out a dud sometimes. The fact that yours squealed with the Corsair PSU but not with the Enermax is worthy of note, IMHO. Just because 99% of Corsair and Seasonics products are good, doesn't mean that they are immune to a bad one.

If you look in the threads, there does seem to be a trend among those with this issue and that PSU. Not all of them, but enough that I noticed it, too.

I have a Silverstone DA750 and my card squeals like a stuck pig. The noise isn't progressive either, it either happens right away or not at all. Mine has done it from the very first time it was ever powered up and used.

There seem to be several people in those threads with that same power supply and the squeal. Maybe it is two different issues; 1. It is the squealing IC described in the eVGA thread and 2. It is exacerbated by that power supply. Seasonic makes quality PSUs _BUT_ every company puts out a dud sometimes. The fact that yours squealed with the Corsair PSU but not with the Enermax is worthy of note, IMHO. Just because 99% of Corsair and Seasonics products are good, doesn't mean that they are immune to a bad one.

If you look in the threads, there does seem to be a trend among those with this issue and that PSU. Not all of them, but enough that I noticed it, too.

Crap, my luck ran out this time. I just bought a [H]ard recommended product. Should have spent another 8 hours researching the combo before my purchase.

I have had two EVGA 8800ULTRAS and under heavy load they both squeal. Now I have a EVGA 8800GTX and it also squeals under load but its very hard to hear it. If I never heard it before I would of never tried to listen for it.

Card: MSI 8800 GTX 630/2100
PS: Antec Neo 550 HE

Running this for months without any noises at startup/shutdown or during gameplay. Took cover off case last night and set system next to right side of my head, and could not detect any noise coming from the card at all. I was only playing EQ2 though, which doesn't strain that card at all, more of a cpu game.

Card: Leadtek 8800GTS OC w/shaders OCd in bios.
Power Supply: Antec Phantom 550

Total power use is around 270w at full load.

My computer and room is very quiet. No squeal of any kind.

OMG!!! :(:mad::eek: NO!!!11!!!!!!!!!!!!:(:mad::eek:, i´ve just installed new drivers and leave the fans at default speed, so after a while i start hearing something, like a very faint beep or something, the sound was coming from one of my 8800GTS (i have a SLI setup) so i quickly open Rivatuner and check the temperatures, they were around 75ºC !!! (at idle) then i used the low lever fan override thingy and put the fan to 100% duty cycle. So now the sound is gone and my temps are around 42ºC at idle. Guess the capacitors don´t like high temps !!

Back